Advertising

Re: M's sign Tim Beckham

Postby Sergio Pedemonte on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:21 am

Much better!

The deal is only for a year tho. They are talking about having him start, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

He sucked last year with the Orioles.
Your House Fitness

Postby 2021WSorBust on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:30 am

D-Trains wrote:btw these are not moves which teams trying to lose 100+ games make obviously.............

dt

You are probably right - they should be able to easily lose 100+ without even trying. Seriously though, I'm not even going to think about how many wins the club might post until I know what the 25 Man roster looks like after the club gets back from Japan.

Postby Jibber Jabber on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

The Ackley deal was a waste of whatever amount of minutes that took to get done.

The Beckham deal makes sense- he can start while Crawford develops, he can provide depth once he is ready, and he has actually shown ability to be productive at the major league level. This was a wise move, and shows what DiPoto can do when he isn't busy working on 5 trades at once.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm

JP will start in AAA.

Beckham will come into camp as the expected opening day starting shortstop. While the Mariners acquired young shortstop J.P. Crawford from the Phillies in the seven-player trade that sent Jean Segura to Philadelphia, they don’t want to rush the former top prospect into everyday MLB playing time and instead let him adapt to the organization. The Mariners have some adjustments they want Crawford to make both at the plate and in the field, and it’s likely they’ll have him do that with Class AAA Tacoma to start the season.

General manager Jerry Dipoto said the team would sign a veteran infielder to handle the shortstop duties until Crawford is ready to become the everyday shortstop. Beckham, who turns 29 on January 27, fits that role in that he can switch to a utility role — something he’s done extensively the past few seasons — when Crawford is deemed ready to take over the role.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 pm

When Crawford comes up mid season they can trade Beckham or Gordon or both...........

dt

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Too bad Gordon Beckham still isn't on the team so we could have middle INFers named Beckham and Gordon and Gordan Beckham.

dt
Last edited by D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby rockycola on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 pm

D-Trains wrote:
Hy Feiber wrote:Compared to Romine, the new guy’s an All-Star!

With just 3 rbi’s, he’s an Upgrade!

34 bombs the past two seasons. I think that is better than Romine as well.

dt

I was thinking Freddie Galvis but I like this Beckham acquisition better.

Romaine who???

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:02 pm

2021WSorBust wrote:
D-Trains wrote:
2021WSorBust wrote:Was replying to Don's earlier comment - didn't hit submit, doh!:

Based on his stat line for last year, I don't know if I would call his season a nightmare. Definitely a step back but the guy posted about the same WAR as Kyle Seager. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying 30 teams should have been knocking at his door, I'm just a little surprised Beckham wasn't able to go somewhere else for a little more coin. In regards to Crawford, Dipoto stated when he picked him up and on several occasions since then that they do not intend to rush him and that he could very well start off in Tacoma. They only need to keep him in T-Town for something like 10 games to get that extra year. Seems foolish not to.

In other words, my take is the opposite. I think Crawford will have to shine in spring to make the club.

Wow, only 10 games? If that is the case I would agree obviously. I was thinking a couple months.

dt

A couple of months might be more accurate. Not sure - I misread the service time reference in the link below. I read it as Crawford needing 152 MLB games to burn the year of control but it's 152 days of MLB service time. I don't know exactly when the clock stars on that - opening day probably? Regardless, it is not going to be huge chunk of games or time that he would have to be at AAA. If he earns his place on the roster in spring, great. Otherwise, I'd put him on an Uber to Cheney Stadium.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/mariners-sign-tim-beckham.html

I was thinking in terms of this from LL, the author there called it nightmarish, so I was sort of plagiarizing, its true he seems a good deal, it seems very low risk,

Beckham was dreadful for the Orioles last year, posting a -.5 fWAR. Thanks to a raft of fielding errors, he also posted the worst WPA (Win Probability Added) at -2.47, slotting in just ahead of luminaries of disasterpiece theatre Alcides Escobar and teammate Chris Davis. Unsurprisingly, Beckham (and his $4.3M salary) were non-tendered in October, making him a free agent and an appealing buy for the Mariners at about half of his original salary.

Nightmarish 2018 aside, there are encouraging aspects to Beckham.

Postby 2021WSorBust on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Gotcha. In general, I like the pick up of Beckham a lot for the club at this juncture. He's the type of player they should target to backfill and bridge the gap. He's relatively young. He's cheap. He has versatility. He definitely has bounce back potential and he's under control for more than one year. In response to a comment made earlier today from MLBTR:

Because he has four years, 134 days of Major League service time, Beckham wouldn’t qualify as a free agent next winter even if he spends the entire season on the Mariners’ roster. He’d remain arbitration-eligible for one final season, thus making him a potential multi-year option in Seattle, even if he ultimately settles into a platoon or utility role.

Postby Rooosevelt on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Well, if he sucked for Baltimore last year, he can suck for the Mariners in 2019.

Almost a slogan!

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners