Advertising

Johns on Farley

Postby D-Trains on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:45 am

Re: Johns on Farley

Postby AT Sandiego on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:31 am

I suppose you keep running Healy and Vogelbach out there.... see if one of them can hit Healy snags throws pretty well, he has the size of what could be a dominant player... But so far he's another joke at the plate.. Vogelbach is not really ;the kind of athlete you'd see on a quality major league team... unless he magically transforms into "Big Pappi"

Vogelbach reminds me of a guy named Steve Bilko who spent a career in the old PCL, a career AAA slugger. Had a couple 20 homer seasons in the big leagues but was a 50 homer hitter in the PCL.

Postby D-Trains on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 am

The biggest difference between the two is we know Healy can't hit big league pitching. I agree Farley's should be a DH. Nothing more nothing less.

dt

Postby lamda on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm

D-Trains wrote:The biggest difference between the two is we know Healy can't hit big league pitching. I agree Farley's should be a DH. Nothing more nothing less.

dt

Wonder if Vogle's ceiling might be similar to Bruce - run into 30-40hr's but will hit around .200.

Postby 2021WSorBust on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Farley has generally had good OBP and makes good contact, right. I would think if he was able to launch 30+ bombs in a major league uniform as a DH, he'd be close to looking at an All Star appearance. It would probably be Cruz-esque. I tend to agree with AT - I remember Bilko (barely) and think he's an apt comparison. Regardless, this has to be the year imo. Either he should get a chance or get the axe.

Postby lamda on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 pm

This would be the year to give him say 3 straight months of daily AB's to see how he does. He was given a limited chance last year and didn't grab it. Need to let him try to get through those growing pains than just yank him right away because you need production.

Postby Double Mocha Man on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm

lamda wrote:This would be the year to give him say 3 straight months of daily AB's to see how he does. He was given a limited chance last year and didn't grab it. Need to let him try to get through those growing pains than just yank him right away because you need production.

Agreed. He's a guy who hits well when he is confident and his ego is in good shape. Everyday, 3 months, no matter what, would be sufficient. Yanking him from the lineup every other day is damaging to his fragile ego. And, personally, I am okay with an ego if you can produce well day after day. Be an asshole, I don't care. Just hit. This is professional sports, not a 2nd Grader's birthday party.

Postby lamda on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Yup - and the ideology this year has to be to win under 70 games so if he tanks those 3 months what did we lose?

Postby Coeur d Alene J on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:59 pm

If they Trade EE or Bruce than there should be room, unless they go with this insane idea to play Ichiro and there’s always the 2% possibility they run Ackley out there as utility, How many of EE,Bruce,Healy,Vogey do we have room for

Postby rockycola on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm

D-Trains wrote:Hey, beats Farley on the John.

https://www.mlb.com/news/inbox-will-dan ... -302556608

Nice to see the article mentions my guy, Eric Filia, though at his age and with his life decisions, he's starting to lose his glow. I'd like to see him get a big league taste but I fear it will be with some other org if he ever gets his shot.

Next

Return to Mariners