Advertising

Re: Johns on Farley

Postby AT Sandiego on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Seems like there is general agreement on the treatment of Vogelbach...... he's not the athlete we might be looking for but he deserves an unvarnished opportunity to prove he can perform as a DH.... I can definitely get behind that.... wonder if Dipoto and Servais can allow any of these guys to have their unvarnished opportunities, or if they'll switch and move 'em around, keep 'em confused as to what their role is.... generally just fuk up the works.... We shall see.

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 pm

D-Trains wrote:The biggest difference between the two is we know Healy can't hit big league pitching. I agree Farley's should be a DH. Nothing more nothing less.

dt

he hit it before he got to the Mariners

Postby somebody's son on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 pm

On VBach and Healy both will be projects for our new
guru hitting coach

I see one taking a good step but doubt both will

Postby petert on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:12 pm

AT Sandiego wrote:I suppose you keep running Healy and Vogelbach out there.... see if one of them can hit Healy snags throws pretty well, he has the size of what could be a dominant player... But so far he's another joke at the plate.. Vogelbach is not really ;the kind of athlete you'd see on a quality major league team... unless he magically transforms into "Big Pappi"

Vogelbach reminds me of a guy named Steve Bilko who spent a career in the old PCL, a career AAA slugger. Had a couple 20 homer seasons in the big leagues but was a 50 homer hitter in the PCL.

He reminds me of John Kruk, except the latter may have been a little more svelte. I just wish he could hit MLB pitching like him.

Postby ddraig on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Vogelbach = Montero 2.0.

Postby Dr Naysay on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 pm

He had a serious platoon issue last season which I can't see if it was a problem in the minors.

His spring training numbers last season 388/508/878/1386 which is dominant even if it is just Spring Training and then(understandably so) he eeks out 70 abs in bit part showings and puts up these numbers vs Righties: 254/367/448/815 with a 124 ops+

I simply don't believe there isn't a big league player in there if he can figure it out and I think a good solid everyday experience would give us that conclusive proof. What I would absolutely hate is if he smashes spring training and we bit part him again and then ship him to another team and he ends up being an important player for that team.

Postby 2021WSorBust on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 am

If Bruce, Healy and EE are still on the roster, Farley is going to have to earn his opportunity during spring training. The inconvenient truth is that he cannot field first base at the major league level so he's pretty much limited to DH. This lack flexibility, like it or not, means Healy will most likely get the nod over him. Despite the one home run highlight, the rap on him from scouts is that he can't turn on inside pitching at the major league level. If he can't figure that out, he's toast.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:
D-Trains wrote:The biggest difference between the two is we know Healy can't hit big league pitching. I agree Farley's should be a DH. Nothing more nothing less.

dt

he hit it before he got to the Mariners

Ackley had a good first year as well.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:39 pm

somebody's son wrote:On VBach and Healy both will be projects for our new
guru hitting coach

I see one taking a good step but doubt both will

VB just needs ABs. Healy is a hopeless case.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:44 pm

2021WSorBust wrote:If Bruce, Healy and EE are still on the roster, Farley is going to have to earn his opportunity during spring training. The inconvenient truth is that he cannot field first base at the major league level so he's pretty much limited to DH. This lack flexibility, like it or not, means Healy will most likely get the nod over him. Despite the one home run highlight, the rap on him from scouts is that he can't turn on inside pitching at the major league level. If he can't figure that out, he's toast.

Healy was 31st of 33 1Bs with 500+ innings last season. Defense should not be a reason he gets playing time.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &page=1_50

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners