21%
Trade EE, Healy at first, VB at DH
47%
T-town for Healy, VB at DH/1B and EE at 1B/DH
32%

Total votes : 19

Re: How would you solve the first base, DH conundrum

Postby petert on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 pm

Petition the commissioner to eliminate first base from all Seattle Mariner games. Batters would proceed directly to second on a safe hit.

Postby harmony55 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Edwin Encarnacion needs to play first base (and hope he does not embarrass himself) in order to double his trade market by enticing National League clubs. Encarnacion's defensive shortcomings at first base will not be the difference between the Mariners making the postseason or extending the playoff drought.

Limiting Encarnacion to designated hitter would only contribute to the misconception that the veteran is horrific at first base.

Encarnacion, Daniel Vogelbach and Jay Bruce rotate at DH/1B, with Encarnacion playing nearly every day, while Ryon Healy heads down at Tacoma in hopes of regaining some mojo.

Postby Captain 97 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 am

I think its pretty obvious the preferred option would be to trade EE. I also think its pretty obvious there is no market for him at this point in which case the next best option is to stash Healy away in AAA. I wouldn't mind just dumping him either as I don't see him as a part of the rebuild. There is really no reason to do that yet though.

Postby AZ Old Dawg on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:55 am

VB should never see the field other than as a DH until he has a black belt in Tai Chi. Start the countdown Darren. I guarantee 70's at worst. Broke 80 on the course yesterday afternoon in shorts although we had a frost delay in the morning.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 am

Postby somebody's son on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Thinking here?
VBach could be a great pickup for a NL team
In 2020 I’d be the NL goes to a DH also.

So getting him now on that team wouldn’t be all that bad of a move
But like LL I still want to see him play.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:27 pm

somebody's son wrote:Thinking here?
VBach could be a great pickup for a NL team
In 2020 I’d be the NL goes to a DH also.

So getting him now on that team wouldn’t be all that bad of a move
But like LL I still want to see him play.

Pretty risky to bet that somethingt that hasn't happened in 46 years will suddenly happen in the next 14 months even if it is beeing discussed right now.

dt

Postby SonsofHan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 am

1st: I don't know

I think most of us want to see EE playing 1B/DH and a contender or two have a 1B/DH injury production issue.

VBach might/could/probably be a DH. The issue is you can't justify being on the hook with EE for 25 and million and DFA.

I hope the M's look at Haniger, Mallex, Sanatana as the starters in the OF. Bruce as the 4th OF back up to basicall everybody. Seager needs a day: Healy to 3rd, EE or Bruce to 1st. SS needs a day Dee to SS, Seages to 2B, Healy to 3rd,,,,,,, etc.

Right now there is EE, Bruce, Healy, and VB. Bottom line I want ABs to go to those guys vs the Romines, and Negrons of the world. There was about 250 PAs dished out to those 2 and the other mid infielder utility types. Backham, Motter, etc. As an org we need to figure out if VBach can be a an every day DH. He hit .979 vs AAA last year. Bag Papi was a big reason for the Sox success. Bruce and EE getting ABs increases them getting hot and bringing in a prospect. VB and to a lesser extent Healy represent developing players that could be part of the next run at contention.

So I guess I am doing a rotation at 1B EE, VB, and Bruce. I don't think all four can be carried for long periods of time unless one of the outfielders goes down or Seager is injured.

I guess I burn a Healy option year to give ABs to VB, EE, and Bruce.

Postby somebody's son on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 am

Healy isn’t guaranteed a spot this or next year
If we have to burn a year send him down. But?

We have 4-5 other players up or soon to be called up
We aren’t hurting to fill DH or 1st.
VB deserves a chance to really show what he can do

In the mean time Bruce, EE could be traded at anytime
through out the season...

Previous

Return to Mariners