Re: Look Out Landings 40 for 40

Postby somebody's son on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm

That was a reply to who I thought would beat the Dawgs
in the PAC 12 tourney
Last I saw they were guessing around 6-7 seed at best in the NCAA T

Postby somebody's son on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Pretty sad the PAC 12 is weak.
Last edited by somebody's son on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:49 pm

2021WSorBust wrote:
D-Trains wrote:I actually think this team as is will be slightly above .500 83 wins. Agree that a lot of those 40 in 40s are good reads.

dt

I never really like to make season win/loss predictions because so many things can happen (injuries, etc.). It won't surprise me all that much if they log 83 wins but as the roster stands right now, I have hard time seeing the club winning 80 games. The biggest driver for me is probably the bullpen. Given the potential of the offense, I see a lot of high scoring losses. All righty relievers on the 40 man except for Roenis Elias and Sanchez who is 21 and doesn't have any mlb experience. By necessity, Elias will probably end up in the pen but I tend to think it's better to have him competing in spring for a spot in the rotation and have him as starting insurance if needed so Swanson and Sheffield can have a little bit of time to develop. There were a couple of lower tier left handed relievers that signed recently. I thought that Dipoto would have snagged one of them for sure. The ones remaining are really bottom of the barrel. I suspect Dipoto will be looking at who gets released during the spring to fill the void.

Also, I think most of us are assuming some of the vets will get traded between now and August so this may dampen any competitive edge the club has.

Looking at the positive... I don't think any of the clubs in the AL West have done all that much to improve themselves this offseason. In fact, one might argue the A's and Astros have taken a step backward. Not sure if this will add anything to the win column for the Mariners but it can't hurt.

The pen is definitely the weakness but they do have Rosscup as another lefty. I think they will probably turn out to be a close to avg. pen but who knows.

dt

Postby Hindemith on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:20 pm

somebody's son wrote:That was a reply to who I thought would beat the Dawgs
in the PAC 12 tourney
Last I saw they were guessing around 6-7 seed at best in the NCAA T

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood your post and thought you were saying that the Huskies would likely be a 2 or 3 seed.

somebody's son wrote:#11, 17 and 19 lost today..

Dawgs after winning today could ?
Be in the top 20

#11 Virginia Tech (who walloped the Huskies earlier this season) lost to a decent Clemson team on the road so they shouldn't drop too much.
#17 Iowa St lost at home to a good TCU team. I doubt they will fall more than a couple spots.
#19 Wisconsin lost on the road to #7 Michigan by less than 10. Won't hurt them much.

Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 teams that have beaten UW this season have lost today and if Gonzaga loses to St Mary's tonight all 4 will have lost. That won't help the Huskies NET ranking.

Postby 2021WSorBust on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 am

D-Trains wrote:
2021WSorBust wrote:
D-Trains wrote:I actually think this team as is will be slightly above .500 83 wins. Agree that a lot of those 40 in 40s are good reads.

dt

I never really like to make season win/loss predictions because so many things can happen (injuries, etc.). It won't surprise me all that much if they log 83 wins but as the roster stands right now, I have hard time seeing the club winning 80 games. The biggest driver for me is probably the bullpen. Given the potential of the offense, I see a lot of high scoring losses. All righty relievers on the 40 man except for Roenis Elias and Sanchez who is 21 and doesn't have any mlb experience. By necessity, Elias will probably end up in the pen but I tend to think it's better to have him competing in spring for a spot in the rotation and have him as starting insurance if needed so Swanson and Sheffield can have a little bit of time to develop. There were a couple of lower tier left handed relievers that signed recently. I thought that Dipoto would have snagged one of them for sure. The ones remaining are really bottom of the barrel. I suspect Dipoto will be looking at who gets released during the spring to fill the void.

Also, I think most of us are assuming some of the vets will get traded between now and August so this may dampen any competitive edge the club has.

Looking at the positive... I don't think any of the clubs in the AL West have done all that much to improve themselves this offseason. In fact, one might argue the A's and Astros have taken a step backward. Not sure if this will add anything to the win column for the Mariners but it can't hurt.

The pen is definitely the weakness but they do have Rosscup as another lefty. I think they will probably turn out to be a close to avg. pen but who knows.

dt

Forgot about Rosscup... yay, there is a lefty for the pen. I think "close to average" is optimisitic but I completely agree with "but who knows."

Previous

Return to Mariners