Advertising

Albatross ! Get yer Albatross here !

Postby petert on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Re: Albatross ! Get yer Albatross here !

Postby D-Trains on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm

That's ok. EE is a professional hitter with a career .353 OBP and .850 OPS. He can learn the youngins up on hittin.

dt

Postby petert on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:15 pm

I find it kind of amusing when a GM strategy backfires.

What does he do, bite the bullet and flip him for a bottom-tier, A-level “prospect” ? Pray he has a middlin’ first half in order to boost a potential AL contender deal ? Suck it up and hope that the salary assumption can pay off in bench leadership, mentorship, and maybe a clutch hit or three ?

What does he say to him in the clubhouse ? “Edwin ! Glad you’re here ! How’s your Japanese ?”

Don’t get me wrong. I love sluggers. Immensely. I love how they can alter the momentum of the game just by kneeling in the on-deck circle. I love watching them settle in to the batters box and wondering what’s going on in the pitcher’s head at that very second. I love watching them catch one on the fat part of the bat and riding it 450’ for the lead. And yes, I beat my head when said slugger drags his bat to the bench after being fooled on a 3-2 change-up.

But when a player is told ‘don’t get comfortable, we’re flipping you’ and then it doesn’t happen, jeez, how does that motivate a player apart from playing to the scouts ?

I hope like hell this works out for Edwin, because God knows we could use a masher, and I like the guy. But I think this time Jerry’s wheeler-dealer attitude has bitten him in the ass.

Postby SonsofHan on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:28 pm

That is a strange article.

It is like announcing: It has been determined that snow is white. "Snow White" Why does clear translucent liquid @ STP appear blue when pooled and white crystalized as snow?

Postby D-Trains on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Speaking of Jessica Alba. Here is a good poll. btw what is a Tross.

Poll: Which Mariner vet has the best shot at winning Comeback Player of the Year?
Originally published February 9, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Share story
By Seattle Times sports staff
Thank you for voting!
3B Kyle Seager 47.54% (29 votes)
2B Dee Gordon 37.7% (23 votes)
OF Ichiro 9.84% (6 votes)
P Felix Hernandez 4.92% (3 votes)
Total Votes: 61

Postby Don Gorgon on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 pm

I don't know if it backfired, they turned Santana's contract into Encarncion's didn't they and picked up a draft pick, they are not really anymore more into salary than when they started are they?...it all began with the trade to the Phillies where they ate salary. Even if they turned Encarnacion into a prospect or something they are still going to eat a lot of salary, never really felt Encarnacion was going to be that valuable in the first place

Postby Kenkokan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Mariners could find a trade partner if they were willing to eat his entire salary. I just wish he would get off the team so Vogelbach can actually have an extended look at being the DH.

Postby petert on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Kenkokan wrote:Mariners could find a trade partner if they were willing to eat his entire salary. I just wish he would get off the team so Vogelbach can actually have an extended look at being the DH.

You don’t think Vogelbach will see enough ABs in a lefty/righty split at DH (understanding that there is Bruce to consider as well) ?

Postby Bil522 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 am

Kenkokan wrote:Mariners could find a trade partner if they were willing to eat his entire salary. I just wish he would get off the team so Vogelbach can actually have an extended look at being the DH.

You have seen VB before.....his name is/was Bucky Jacobson

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 am

Yeah I think everybody would be happy with vogelbach having Jacobsen .835 OPS.

Next

Return to Mariners