Advertising

Keith Law on why he ranked M's # 20

Postby SonsofHan on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:11 pm

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/599931/ke ... rm-system/

It looks like Law discriminates against teens. I would agree more if he discounted kinda the young 17 year old fireballer or big kid that has low 90's but has a tall skinny "projectable frame" and might develop into some more velocity develop new pitches, etc. I get the pitching injury fact and if a 17 year old is in the DSL or rookie ball there is a chance for development but also injury. So the age thing from law discounts Kelenic, Rodriguez, Carlson, who would be the most important discounts. But there are other International bonus babies: Marte & Querecuto. 2 of those guys are in most top 5's, Carlson top 10 post draft but might slip out because he won't be ready by opening day TJ. Marte and Querecuto seem to be in most top 20 lists between 10 to 20 some higher, some lower.

The 1st 5 only has 1 pitcher Sam Carlson and he is a case for Law's discounting young pitchers. Carlson never really got going although many had him as a mid 3rd of 1st Rd. level talant. He has the TJ and should be ready to go at some point in 2019. The bad part is that he will enter into probably Everette and be like a year older and out of competition for a long period of time.

So again I get discounting lower level teen types vs college level draft picks and prospects that have passed the the tests against higher level competition and passed the health tests up to that point.

Re: Keith Law on why he ranked M's # 20

Postby D-Trains on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Surprising that Law would give more value to higher floor, lower ceiling older prospects..........

dt

Postby SonsofHan on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Kinda mixing many of my threads here but SODO had:
7. Damon Casetta-Stubbs an 11 th Rd. pick out of Vancouver Wa.
Prospect Insider article on him
https://prospectinsider.com/mariners-be ... ta-stubbs/

That is what I call a projectable young arm. He is 6'4' 200# sits low 90's but flashes 97. He is FB-Sinker, Slider. But again projectable. He is not even on mlb.com's top 30. I have featured him a few times. in my threads.

Postby SonsofHan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:49 am

Off the cuff: if I were to rank Stubbs right now it would be somewhere 15 to 30,

Return to Mariners