Advertising

Re: Rank em your self: M's top 20 prospects. Here is mine.

Postby D-Trains on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am

Maybe Dunn can be our new closer. :idea:

dt

Postby kingfelixk on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 am

D-Trains wrote:Here are two Mets bloggers with some more irrational hate for Dunn. Seems the Met's brass agreed about punting on developing him as a starter.

Lukas Vlahos says:

He still doesn't have a viable third pitch, doesn't pitch deep into games, and gets crushed by lefties. Combine that with the late season "shoulder tightness" and the underwhelming stat line in High-A and Dunn looks more and more unlikely to turn into the high-octane starter the Mets hoped for. Considering the Mets' position as a contender (a very short window followed by an almost certain down period in 2-3 years), I think the Mets might be better off punting on developing Dunn as a starter and converting him back into a reliever, where he'd probably fly through the minors.

Steve Sypa says:

Dunn is still far from a bust, but the warts are starting to pile up surprisingly quickly. He wasn’t necessarily a reach when he was drafted, but he was and definitely still is a gamble. Because of his profile- plus fastball, strong secondary pitch, lagging third pitch, stamina issues- I still think Dunn is fated for a bullpen somewhere, but even there, he will have to work on his control to avoid being placed in the “Rule 5 Draft reliever with flaws junk pile.”

I am far more of a results guy and his 4.22 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in AA as an almost 23 yo doesn't excite me much. I will be rooting for him but good stuff gets you almost nowhere in the Big leagues without the polish he seems to lack.

dt

He actually had really good results in AA before fading down the stretch. Similar to Marco last year. 16 of his 42 ER came in his last 3 games. He pitched 85 innings the year before and pitched 135 last year. I'm excited to see what he does this year. I think he could be pretty good.

When were those quotes dated? The first sounds like it wad before last season, because his high A stats last year weren't "underwhelming".

Postby D-Trains on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:41 am

Yes, they were before last season and they are just bloggers so grain of salt.

He had a great June but underwelming after that. I guess if he also had a great July Aug and Sept the Mets wouldn't have given him up and we wouldn't even be talking about him so let's hope for the best.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?pl ... 018/MINORS

Postby SonsofHan on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am

SonsofHan wrote:I am not going to have mlb.com style point scores but I may occasionally have a comment or two.

# 1 Justice Sheffield LHP. Dislikes: only 6' only 3 pitches. Likes Always a top 100, Dominated AAA 2.5 ERA.
#2 Kelenic CF, # 6 overall HS pick has a body builder body and speed. Near 300/400/500 with speed and CF ability.
#3 Logan Gilbert 6'6" Big college RHP has 4 pitches and is said to be a fast mover.
#4 Evan White 1B. Debute near 3-4-5 hundred and ballerinia scores at 1B defense.
#5 Julio Rodriguez OF, 3,4,5-hundred and 10 steals in less than 60 games. Most important he will break Baseball.
#6 Justin Dunn, Top 100
#7 Sam Carlson, He was considered a top 1/2ish 1st Rd pick which =top 100 type
#8 Kyle Lewis maybe wishful thinking
#9 DAMON CASETTA-STUBBS
#10 Erik Swanson

After the 1st 6 I could easily swap out any number of guys and put in Cal Raleigh,Wyatt Mills, Shed Long, Marte, Querecuto, Bishop, DTW, Warren, Fraley, V-Bach that is 10 names so callit a 11-20

On various sites there has been mention that 3 players are not on the list but are very close to being prospects. I have seen Kikuchi, Crawford, and V-Bach included in this list so I am re-writing as if they are all eligable.

# 1 Justice Sheffield LHP. Dislikes: only 6' only 3 pitches. Likes Always a top 100, Dominated AAA 2.5 ERA.
#2 Kelenic CF, # 6 overall HS pick has a body builder body and speed. Near 300/400/500 with speed and CF ability.
#3 Logan Gilbert 6'6" Big college RHP has 4 pitches and is said to be a fast mover.
#4 Kikuchi LHP ( The only reason he is not #1 by a mile is the injury concern)
#5 Evan White 1B. Debute near 3-4-5 hundred and ballerinia scores at 1B defense.
#6 Julio Rodriguez OF, 3,4,5-hundred and 10 steals in less than 60 games. Most important he will break Baseball.
#7 Justin Dunn, Top 100
#8 Sam Carlson, He was considered a top 1/2ish 1st Rd pick which =top 100 type
#9 JP Crawford SS 6'2" Scouting Grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 45 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 65 | Overall: 65
#10 Kyle Lewis maybe wishful thinking
#11 DAMON CASETTA-STUBBS
#12 Erik Swanson

So now I will have a top 24: I will add 2 more to the 10 to 20 making it a top 24.
After the 1st 6 I could easily swap out any number of guys and put in Cal Raleigh,Wyatt Mills, Shed Long, Marte, Querecuto, Bishop, DTW, Warren, Fraley, V-Bach that is 10 names so callit a 11-20
Keegan McGovern, 9th Rd pick hit well after a 2018 draft spot.

Previous

Return to Mariners