Advertising

Re: Spring Training: What Are You Focusing On?

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm

2021WSorBust wrote:I'm curious what everybody is going to focus on during spring training. Right now with the current roster, it doesn't seem like there is going to be competition for a lot of roster spots. Just my opinion but I think Farley is going to have to rip the cover off of the ball to have a chance of being on the 25 man roster once the team comes back from Japan. I'll be curious how Felix does but I don't think his performance in the spring will change anything (unless he looks even worse than last year and they negotiate an extended stay on the DL). I'm looking forward to seeing the newer prospects - hopefully a couple of them will look like they can live up to their potential. Sheffield and Crawford are probaly the guys I'm most interested in watching. Kelenic and Dunn too but I'm not sure how much playing time these guys will get with the A squad.

Kelenic won't be in big league camp. Agree about Shefffield and Crawford. I like Swanson a lot better than Dunn. Also want to see Cal behind the dish and White's new found power.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:08 pm

This prospect expert agrees with me about Swanson.

Additionally, in a section listing his favorite sleeper prospects in each system, Sickels pegs OF Dom Thompson-Williams and RHP Erik Swanson as his best bets to exceed expectations. It is quite the commentary that all four prospects of note were acquired this offseason, and, amusingly all from New York.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019/2/1 ... -prospects

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 pm

how about Yusei Kikuchi ?...didn't notice him mentioned, that was a pretty significant signing wasn't it?...could be the opening day starter couldn't he?

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:how about Yusei Kikuchi ?...didn't notice him mentioned, that was a pretty significant signing wasn't it?...could be the opening day starter couldn't he?

Definitely but he is more of a known quantity I guess.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:28 pm

doubt anybody has seen him pitch yet...hey we have to show our enthusiasm for Japanese player or they won't want to come here anymore! lol

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:doubt anybody has seen him pitch yet...hey we have to show our enthusiasm for Japanese player or they won't want to come here anymore! lol

True. I was responding to Jim's post and he didn't mention him. So blame him and his anti Japan bias. :)

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 pm

and Jim has that Japanese connection and all that...interesting that he has no regard for their players... lol...

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:and Jim has that Japanese connection and all that...interesting that he has no regard for their players... lol...

Yes, very ironic. :lol:

Postby AT Sandiego on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 pm

I'm mostly interested in the position players. Out of seven catchers reporting, 5 will be new... I'll look at them.
Out of the 24 position players listed, 19 will be new, I'll focus on them. I already have certain opinions on Seager, Gordon, Hanniger, Freitas, and Vogelbach. I'll look at Strickland, Kikuchi, and some of the rookie pitchers... I hope to watch some of the minor league prospects work out..... especially Kellenic, Marte, and Rodriguez....

Postby D-Trains on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 pm

EE reporting for duty on Friday. No trade expected any time soon.

https://www.mlb.com/mariners/news/edwin ... -303826668

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners