Advertising

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby OKC is not OK on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm

(never ever thought I would say this)

Bring back Bob Bender

1993–94 Washington 5–22 3–15 9th
1994–95 Washington 10–17[n 1] 6–12 T–7th
1995–96 Washington 16–12 9–9 T–5th NIT First Round
1996–97 Washington 17–11 10–8 6th NIT First Round
1997–98 Washington 20–10 11–7 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1998–99 Washington 17–12 10–8 4th NCAA Round of 64
1999–00 Washington 10–20 5–13 T–8th
2000–01 Washington 10–20 4–14 T–9th
2001–02 Washington 11–18 5–13 8th
Washington: 115–143 (.446) 63–99 (.389)
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Bonney Lake, WA

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby TACOMA is my destiny on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 pm

UW might need to go the way of a mid-major coaching star, how about Randy Bennett of St Mary's? He has that program right up there with Gonzaga over the past several years, a little twist is he is a former Romar assistant at Pepperdine. Or Gregg Marshall of Wichita State? 5 years straight in the tournament, with a Final Four & a sixth appearance this year is a lock. He also led Winthrop to the tournament 7 out of 9 seasons. They need someone who can fill the roster with coachable, solid 3/4 year players. The 1 & done guys will probably still go there, should limit that to 1 per season, unless they pull a Calipari & grab 5 or 6 top 100 recruits every single year. Bottom line is they need a proven program builder, not just a recruiter. You can't just roll the balls out there like Phil Jackson & expect miracles in college.
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 7:46 am

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby D-Trains on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:43 pm

TACOMA is my destiny wrote:UW might need to go the way of a mid-major coaching star, how about Randy Bennett of St Mary's? He has that program right up there with Gonzaga over the past several years, a little twist is he is a former Romar assistant at Pepperdine. Or Gregg Marshall of Wichita State? 5 years straight in the tournament, with a Final Four & a sixth appearance this year is a lock. He also led Winthrop to the tournament 7 out of 9 seasons. They need someone who can fill the roster with coachable, solid 3/4 year players. The 1 & done guys will probably still go there, should limit that to 1 per season, unless they pull a Calipari & grab 5 or 6 top 100 recruits every single year. Bottom line is they need a proven program builder, not just a recruiter. You can't just roll the balls out there like Phil Jackson & expect miracles in college.


Good ideas. Few would be great but I doubt he ever leaves. I bet he learned the grass isn't always greener from Dan Monson. Do you think Monson regrets leaving Gonzaga? But then there is Chris Peterson who I bet is happy he left Boise St. But Few coming to UW would basically be a demotion.

dt
 
Posts: 50065
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby D-Trains on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Wow, I had no idea when I made the previous post. :shock:

In April 2002, Monson was courted by the University of Washington in Seattle to coach the Huskies and return to his home state of Washington. Monson initially accepted the offer presented by Huskies AD Barbara Hedges to succeed Bob Bender.[2] The Minnesota athletic department, under Tom Moe, convinced Monson to change his mind and stay on with Minnesota.[3] In the end, Monson decided to return to Minnesota because he didn't feel he had given enough time to the rebuilding effort at Minnesota and hadn't yet attained enough success with the team.[2] Washington ultimately hired Lorenzo Romar.
 
Posts: 50065
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby D-Trains on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 pm

If Fultz is the number 1 pick he will be the first from the Pac 10/12 since 1974. Bill Walton. That is crazy. Huskies about to blow another team. This team is the worst since the Lynn Nance era.

dt
 
Posts: 50065
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby TACOMA is my destiny on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:23 am

Ahhh yes the good old days of Lynn Nance.... eerily similar to the Danny Kaye M's era. Those first 2 years under Bender was pretty bad though. I remember Monson being the guy UW wanted, but he stayed at awful Minnesota & was kinda stuck in mediocrity, they made the Tournament only once but we're a NIT regular. He's kinda replicated that at Long Beach State, he's been there forever. I don't know how well he would've done at UW, he only had 2 years at Gonzaga. I would love a splashy hire like Mark Few, but with the financial issues in the athletic department, I doubt they would pay the 300 or 400% raise to lure him from Gonzaga. But if they win the tournament, maybe he seeks a new challenge across state?
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 7:46 am

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby D-Trains on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 am

TACOMA is my destiny wrote:Ahhh yes the good old days of Lynn Nance.... eerily similar to the Danny Kaye M's era. Those first 2 years under Bender was pretty bad though. I remember Monson being the guy UW wanted, but he stayed at awful Minnesota & was kinda stuck in mediocrity, they made the Tournament only once but we're a NIT regular. He's kinda replicated that at Long Beach State, he's been there forever. I don't know how well he would've done at UW, he only had 2 years at Gonzaga. I would love a splashy hire like Mark Few, but with the financial issues in the athletic department, I doubt they would pay the 300 or 400% raise to lure him from Gonzaga. But if they win the tournament, maybe he seeks a new challenge across state?


The ultimate CHALLENGE! lol

dt
 
Posts: 50065
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby Captain 97 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:55 am

So back in the day, Romar seemed to be able to develop players. Guys like Roy, Brockman, Pondexter etc. seemed to get better the longer they were in the program. That has seemed to have stopped. Now there is little if any improvement and maybe even some regressing.Do you think that that is because Romar has slipped or is it all about the loss of the assistant coaches who were overcoming Romar's lack of coaching ability?
 
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:10 am
Location: stanwood, WA

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby D-Trains on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Captain 97 wrote:So back in the day, Romar seemed to be able to develop players. Guys like Roy, Brockman, Pondexter etc. seemed to get better the longer they were in the program. That has seemed to have stopped. Now there is little if any improvement and maybe even some regressing.Do you think that that is because Romar has slipped or is it all about the loss of the assistant coaches who were overcoming Romar's lack of coaching ability?


It is hard to imagine that a coach would get dumber as he enters his 20-21st season as head coach.

dt
 
Posts: 50065
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Romar and his 2017 class to Missouri?

Postby Michael K 2 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:38 am

D-Trains wrote:
Captain 97 wrote:So back in the day, Romar seemed to be able to develop players. Guys like Roy, Brockman, Pondexter etc. seemed to get better the longer they were in the program. That has seemed to have stopped. Now there is little if any improvement and maybe even some regressing.Do you think that that is because Romar has slipped or is it all about the loss of the assistant coaches who were overcoming Romar's lack of coaching ability?


It is hard to imagine that a coach would get dumber as he enters his 20-21st season as head coach.

dt


Maybe not dumber, but possibly less inclined to put in the work? Williams-Goss sure felt like this staff didn't do all it could to prepare the team to win. He sure seems to be on to something.
 
Posts: 6723
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Wenatchee, WA

Previous

Return to Husky Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Advertising