Advertising

Dawgs favorite to land 7'0 C Bryan Penn-Johnson in 2019

Postby DAWG SATURDAY on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

Johnson is a 7'0 C from Henderson, NV who goes to Wasatch Academy in Utah. Generally I'll post about prospects who really excite me and Johnson fits that profile. He has only been playing basketball for 4 years but has the potential to be something really special.

As mentioned, he stands 7'0 and has a 10 ft reach... he uses that reach to be one of the best blocking prospects I've ever seen. He has a natural feel for using his length to disrupt shots and he doesn't give up an inch in potential block coverage. Think Robert Upshaw on defense but more athletic... I haven't seen him go against bigger bodies so I'm not sure how he does when he has to muscle a defender... my inclination is he's probably developed a habit of giving up space to trick the offensive player into feeling like they have an easy shot where he'll recover quickly and get the block. Will probably struggle at the next level with bigger offensive players who can back him down and get under the basket. That said, he has the potential to be a defensive freak...

On offense, he has surprisingly nice touch with the left hand. He is a plus rebounder and regularly displays the ability to use his length to coral the ball at the high point with one hand and shield tip it away from the opponent. When he is in position to rebound off the rim with his body squared to the basket, he uses a quick burst and grabs the ball with two hands and handles it at the high point. He keeps his hands high when he lands and doesn't waste movement, quickly dumping the ball into the basket without giving the defender a chance to recover. He doesn't have the strength or really the comfort level to bang on the post, at least from what I've seen, but he knows how to back his defender at least a little bit and is crafty from the post, finishing with a soft baby hook that dances nicely on the backboard and rim. He'll never be a shooter, just is never going to be expected of him, but he shows decent touch from the free throw line. He just looks a tad awkward at times with the ball in his hands... looks a little bit unsure and I'm sure that's something that will change in time. He also struggles with spacial awareness unless the rim is right in front of him on offense. He is a great athlete and he'll need to learn over time that he can explode from anywhere within a certain radius of the basket to dunk. Because he hasn't really developed these instincts, he gets caught in between on a lot of dunks and ends up have to finger roll them or lay them in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TGSrcCoTCc
Last edited by DAWG SATURDAY on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Dawgs favorite to land 7'0 C Bryan Penn-Johnson in 2019

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:18 am

Awesome. Thanks. Hopkins seems to be a recruiting guru so far and has certainly exceeded my expectations in that regard.

dt

Postby DAWG SATURDAY on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am

D-Trains wrote:Awesome. Thanks. Hopkins seems to be a recruiting guru so far and has certainly exceeded my expectations in that regard.

dt

Yeah kind of has surprised me too. Got a really nice point guard in the 2018 class too... if they can combine the guard with this young fella we could be looking at a nice class and damn solid roster in years to come.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:29 pm

DAWG SATURDAY wrote:
D-Trains wrote:Awesome. Thanks. Hopkins seems to be a recruiting guru so far and has certainly exceeded my expectations in that regard.

dt

Yeah kind of has surprised me too. Got a really nice point guard in the 2018 class too... if they can combine the guard with this young fella we could be looking at a nice class and damn solid roster in years to come.

Where are you seeing we are favored to get him? Thanks again DS.

dt

Postby DAWG SATURDAY on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 pm

He is crystal balled by multiple media members through 247 sports to UW. 247 and Scout merged a few months ago so it’s a pretty solid source.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... redictions

Return to Husky Men's Basketball