Advertising

If this Husky Bball team fails to make the NCAA tournament -

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:14 am

It could be a while until our next one.

Jaylen Nowell leaving would be devastating to our already thin group of scoring talent.

We lose the key member of our defense who has held this zone together w/ a gluestick in Thybulle.

Hameir Wright and Naz Carter haven't proven to have any real ability to score on a consistent basis.

Sam Timmins is going to start next year at center unless Hopkins pulls his head out of his butt and trusts Brian Penn-Johnson and Nate Roberts instead. He'd be making a foolish mistake allowing Timmins to play at all next season.

Our projected starting line-up next year:

PG: Elijah Hardy RS Freshman (he apparently hurt his shooting hand... don't even know what's wrong w/ him)

SG: Jaylen Nowell (who knows if he stays)

SF/SG: Naz Carter

PF: Hameir Wright

C: Sam Timmins

... tell me that doesn't scare the **** out of you.

I personally think we don't get a real shot at the tournament until 2021 when our starting lineup would look like:

PG: Elijah Hardy RSJr.

SG: Raequan Battle Jr.

SF/SG: Jamal Bey Sr.

PF: Nate Roberts RSJr.

C: Bryan Penn-Johnson Sr.

Re: If this Husky Bball team fails to make the NCAA tourname

Postby Michael K 2 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:59 am

I am on the fence about this team. They seem to play just good enough to hang around, with anyone they play regardless of talent. I am not sure if that will allow them to win enough road games in this Conference to qualify, and it certainly wouldn't lend to winning a Conference Tourney. I think we finish just shy of the Dance again....and then all of these Seniors can leave and wonder what if.

Just watching Crisp last night was a microcosm of this team. On back to back plays he drills a corner three and dishes out an amazing assist to close the gap. Not long before that he had dribbled spastically into the key for a turnover, and not long after that he took about five steps on a breakaway lay in, and despite not getting called for traveling blew the bunny because he for some reason layed it up at the rim instead of using the backboard.

Sorry, after four years I am sick to death of watching David Crisp, but if he is still our best option I think this team may have a hard time earning the committee's trust. And then there is Timmons. Yikes. He actually looks like an oak tree, pretty much anchored to the ground while opposing offensive players run around him for easy hoops. He is a monster of a man, yet we seem to give up more offensive rebounds with him on the court than off. I know this shouldn't be a rebuilding year, but it scares me that we seem to have two post players on the bench that can't beat him out.

Postby AZ Old Dawg on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:31 am

As a retired hoops coach I respect the hell out of the job Coach Hop has done but I just can't fathom how he couldn't recruit a D1 ready point guard and a pure shooter. Our athletic defense is going to take us only so far but at the end of the day you need a couple of "ice water" dudes that can drain it with their eyes closed.

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:11 pm

AZ Old Dawg wrote:As a retired hoops coach I respect the hell out of the job Coach Hop has done but I just can't fathom how he couldn't recruit a D1 ready point guard and a pure shooter. Our athletic defense is going to take us only so far but at the end of the day you need a couple of "ice water" dudes that can drain it with their eyes closed.

The sad thing is he has... he refuses to seriously play anyone from this current freshman class.

Elijah Hardy is a fucking beast. The man has serious game. I'd have loved to see him run the point instead of Crisp. He's played scrap time in like 3 games... and in the third game he hurt his shooting hand which is just so wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxzXz7_i7xE < --- you're telling me he isn't better than Crisp?

Bryan Penn-Johnson should be taking every one of Timmins' minutes. He has essentially had real time in one game. That was against Eastern and he played for 7 minutes. In that game he had 3 blocks and contested at least 3 other layups that resulted in wild misses. Sam Timmins has no offensive ability and does not impact the paint nearly as well... BPJ will at least give you the occasional dunk and he's a good rebounder.

Why on earth did we red shirt Nate Roberts with our lack of depth in the middle? Instead of being forced to put Hameir Wright at center... why not clear Roberts to play? The guy is the only player on the team with the ability to score on the low post besides Dickerson.

Also... how in the **** was Hamier Wright Mr. Basketball in the state of New York?

Raequan battle is the pure shooter you're looking for... but he's a year away.

Postby AZ Old Dawg on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:45 pm

BroadcastingHusky wrote:
AZ Old Dawg wrote:As a retired hoops coach I respect the hell out of the job Coach Hop has done but I just can't fathom how he couldn't recruit a D1 ready point guard and a pure shooter. Our athletic defense is going to take us only so far but at the end of the day you need a couple of "ice water" dudes that can drain it with their eyes closed.

The sad thing is he has... he refuses to seriously play anyone from this current freshman class.

Elijah Hardy is a fucking beast. The man has serious game. I'd have loved to see him run the point instead of Crisp. He's played scrap time in like 3 games... and in the third game he hurt his shooting hand which is just so wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxzXz7_i7xE < --- you're telling me he isn't better than Crisp?

Bryan Penn-Johnson should be taking every one of Timmins' minutes. He has essentially had real time in one game. That was against Eastern and he played for 7 minutes. In that game he had 3 blocks and contested at least 3 other layups that resulted in wild misses. Sam Timmins has no offensive ability and does not impact the paint nearly as well... BPJ will at least give you the occasional dunk and he's a good rebounder.

Why on earth did we red shirt Nate Roberts with our lack of depth in the middle? Instead of being forced to put Hameir Wright at center... why not clear Roberts to play? The guy is the only player on the team with the ability to score on the low post besides Dickerson.

Also... how in the **** was Hamier Wright Mr. Basketball in the state of New York?

Raequan battle is the pure shooter you're looking for... but he's a year away.

Sam Timmons is probably the guy you would want to marry your daughter but I don't think he would be successful at the Community College level.

Postby 57reasons on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm

well one of the guys that torched us long distance last night - Corey Kispert is a pure shooter who was right in our backyard (Kings High in Shoreline), but the Dub didnt show him much love.

Return to Husky Men's Basketball