Advertising

2019-2020 Dawgs Are Gonna Be Long in This Zone

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:42 am

While some might say we're set to take a "step back" (to steal from the smokin' hot M's)... I'm not so sure.

The Husky D was one of the better defenses in the country last season. We finished 30th in points against, 2nd in blocked shots, 8th in steals and 13th in forced turnovers per game. That's pretty darn good. There's no question Matisse was a major reason for a lot of that production... but what about his supporting cast? Minus Matisse, I think we have a chance have a more complete team defensively than last year's squad.

Here's why:

Bryan Penn-Johnson on the back end of the zone: I think BPJ is gonna be in the conversation for NDPOY at some point in his career as a Dawg. He's 7'1 with a 7'6.5 wing span. He is simply made for Hopkins D and is going to erase teams thinking they can drive on our zone. BPJ played in one game last year that wasn't just garbage time minutes. Against Eastern we saw a glimpse of what he can do. In 7 minutes he had 3 blocks and disrupted what had to be at 6 total shots in the game for misses. I hoped that would be the game where Hopkins would feel comfortable playing him instead of Timmins going forward, but he hurt his ankle and didn't play for the rest of the year. I think BPJ is a 1st team all D player the second he steps on the floor next season. I wouldn't be surprised if BPJ averages 4+ blocks a game.

Who else has length?: Nate Roberts at 6'11, Jayden McDaniels at 6'11 (if he commits) and Hameir Wright at 6'9, Isaiah Stewart at 6'10. I imagine Hameir will transition away from his role as a center with the incoming talent and will probably move to a hybrid 3/4 alongside Jayden McDaniels who will play a similar position. Both will cause problems on the exterior with their length and our 3 point defense will be dramatically improved because of it. Jayden McDaniels will be a defensive star in this zone and Hameir will do his normal damage as an above average shot blocker. Isaiah Stewart though, this one has me excited. Dickerson isn't 1/100th of the athlete that Stewart is and it killed our zone the last couple seasons. Isaiah Stewart and BPJ as a defensive unit is going to be downright scary and a block party in the making. Stewart has a motor that doesn't quit and he takes it personally when you score on him.

Can 6'6 Jamal Bey be the next Thybulle?: I think he can be, but with better offensive skills. We saw glimpses in the limited time he played last season that showcased his abilities as a defender. He's super athletic, has great length and anticipates really well. I just see him becoming the menace that Thybulle was on this D, anchoring the exterior of our zone going forward.

Can 6'6 Naz Carter step up his D?: Naz will be one of the Dawgs featured players the next 2 seasons after two years as a role player. The new-found responsibility and leadership expectations will hopefully elevate his game. He's one of the most athletic players in the country and he's flashed it on the defensive end a few times in his career. Last season he had 5 games with 2+ steals. He also took over Thybulle's role on the perimeter last season when Matisse was in foul trouble and was quite good... I think he takes a big leap forward.

No more David Crisp: In steps Elijah Hardy and Quade Green. Crisp was listed at 6'0 but there's no way he was taller than 5'10. He's also got stubby arms to boot. Despite solid quickness on the perimeter, he was never really a defensive menace on opposing point guards as you can only get so far with energy and will power. Hardy and Green are without question taller and have more length that Crisp. But aside from that, I'm not sure what to expect on the defensive end from these two. They are plus floor generals on the offensive end, and maybe that's all we should be asking for. One thing I like about both of these guys is they have swagger... they are competitive as hell and love getting under opposing players' skin so that could translate on the defensive end... no more Crisp is the bigger highlight though.

Re: 2019-2020 Dawgs Are Gonna Be Long in This Zone

Postby 57reasons on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 pm

love the enthusiasm, but i must have missed the announcement of McDaniels' commitment :?:

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Nice post!

One of the things that got me excited about the upcoming season was watching Bey and Carter at the end of this season.

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm

57reasons wrote:love the enthusiasm, but i must have missed the announcement of McDaniels' commitment :?:

He hasn't which is why next to his name I say (if he commits). But I'd say it's a rather high chance now that Nowell is headed to the NBA. He said he wouldn't commit to the Dawgs if Nowell was still there. Probably because he's not looking to play second fiddle in offensive production.

Postby 57reasons on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 pm

BroadcastingHusky wrote:
57reasons wrote:love the enthusiasm, but i must have missed the announcement of McDaniels' commitment :?:

He hasn't which is why next to his name I say (if he commits). But I'd say it's a rather high chance now that Nowell is headed to the NBA. He said he wouldn't commit to the Dawgs if Nowell was still there. Probably because he's not looking to play second fiddle in offensive production.

Nowell hasnt hired an agent right? if not i think there is at least a 1 in 4 chance he comes back. not a Dawgman insider, so hopefully you have better intel. If Jaylen does go, what is the chance McDaniels signs on - better than 50/50? if i had to choose one, guess i'd rather have Jaylen as the known quantity, particularly with Stewart and BPJ already here.

Postby rockycola on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Great article in today's ST, Percy Allen has pegged the Dawgs for 5th place in the conference next season.
Ducks and Trojans are 1-2 per Percy.

5. WASHINGTON HUSKIES

2018-19 record and finish: 27-9, 15-3 (1st), NCAA second round.

Departing starters (3): G Matisse Thybulle, F Noah Dickerson and G David Crisp are seniors.

On the fence: G Jaylen Nowell, the Pac-12 player of the year, is not projected as a first-rounder but will go through the pre-draft process.

Key players: G Nazhiah Carter, F Hameir Wright. PG Quade Green.

ESPN top-100 recruits: C Isaiah Stewart (4) and G RaeQuan Battle (86).

The skinny: Stewart is a Pac-12 player of the year candidate and a projected NBA lottery pick in 2020. However, the Pac-12 regular-season champions lose five of its top six players and 80 percent of its scoring, which is a lot for any team to overcome. Backup junior F Sam Timmins is the longest-tenured Husky, which exemplifies a leadership void among a young team in which Carter (8.1 ppg.) and Wright (2.8 ppg.) are the leading returning scorers. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Green will miss the nonconference games. If Washington lands 5-star recruit Jaden McDaniels, also a projected NBA lottery pick in 2020, and Nowell returns, then the Huskies win at least 25 games and likely repeat as Pac-12 champs. But right now, the Stewart-Carter tandem isn’t enough firepower to contend for a league title and UW would be fortunate to return to the postseason.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/analysis-how-do-the-huskies-look-compared-to-other-2019-pac-12-hoops-teams/

Postby D-Trains on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:41 pm

If Wright is a key player 5th place is optimistic.

dt

Postby 57reasons on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:36 pm

D-Trains wrote:If Wright is a key player 5th place is optimistic.

dt

granted he had a hard time getting his jumper to fall, and no post game to speak of, but his interior D was outstanding by the end of the year- really came on in that area, playing much tougher than you would think for such a slender frame. his length presents problems, and especially in combination with BPJ next year should control the bottom of the zone. plus he runs the floor and unlike Timmins, not a foul a minute guy.

Return to Husky Men's Basketball