Advertising

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby D-Trains on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:38 pm

JAWA wrote:
D-Trains wrote:Baker's piece on the topic:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... y-council/

How about this. WTF? Only in Seattle.............

“I look forward to seeing the final RFP and having more discussion about what this development means for Seattle and our region,” Juarez told the council briefing. “We will be focusing on a world class civic cultural arena, looking at development and operations, transportation, labor, the racial and social justice equity piece and of course, looking at the neighborhood — most notably Uptown and adjoining neighborhoods.’’


WTF is right! What in the hell does racial and social justice equity have anything to do with building a friggin' arena!? Good grief, and I thought the BS about the Huskies opening up competition for the QB position next season was unbelievable! Then again, this is from the very same person who suggested they build the arena in HER district. One problem though, and that's there's no land available in her district. I sincerely believe that banging my head against the wall is far more productive than this sorry excuse of a city council.

This RFP for the Key will result in one of two things. One, is that the studies will show what we already know about the Key, and that it will not work as a viable arena for neither the NBA nor NHL. Or, for some unforeseen reason, the exact opposite will happen. My money's on the former and will be shocked if the latter comes to fruition.

Let's see what Leiweke comes up with.


I have and idea! How about Hansen agrees to have a minimum of three African American players on the team at all times!! :lol: :lol: :lol: That should satisfy the the racial justice piece, right? I will leave the social justice equity piece up to you guys because I have no idea what the hell she is talking about. Maybe Seafreak can help us out. #Seafreak to the rescue!

dt
 
Posts: 59702
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby auroraave on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 pm

WTF is right! What in the hell does racial and social justice equity have anything to do with building a friggin' arena!? Good grief, and I thought the BS about the Huskies opening up competition for the QB position next season was unbelievable! Then again, this is from the very same person who suggested they build the arena in HER district. One problem though, and that's there's no land available in her district. I sincerely believe that banging my head against the wall is far more productive than this sorry excuse of a city council.

This RFP for the Key will result in one of two things. One, is that the studies will show what we already know about the Key, and that it will not work as a viable arena for neither the NBA nor NHL. Or, for some unforeseen reason, the exact opposite will happen. My money's on the former and will be shocked if the latter comes to fruition.

Let's see what Leiweke comes up with.


I have and idea! How about Hansen agrees to have a minimum of three African American players on the team at all times!! :lol: :lol: :lol: That should satisfy the the racial justice piece, right? I will leave the social justice equity piece up to you guys because I have no idea what the hell she is talking about. Maybe Seafreak can help us out. #Seafreak to the rescue!

dt


LOL! I think the question should be - does Lieweke etal give a sh*t about using it as a sports venue. Like I was mentioning - we have Staples Center here for sports - but that didn't stop Dolan's crew from redoing the Forum - and it has events all the time - concerts, MMA, boxing, etc. Key would be a good option for those events - and by the city retaining ownership - could be a low risk opp for all of them - but I simply do not see how that is a viable arena anymore - the footprint is garbage. Isn't the Center a dump these days? Maybe the council wants to leverage Lieweke into helping refurbish not just the Key, but the center as well. After that, then they can get Hanson to build his palace for the NBA team that will never come. Maybe Seattle can get a second WNBA team that no one will go see. God that would be so Seattle.
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby JAWA on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Newest SR article by Matt Tucker in regards to the beginning of the Key Arena RFP process: http://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/1/11/1 ... fp-details

Evidently, the article's main objective is the option of doing a complete teardown of the Key. The time frame of that would be about five years, whereas building Sodo arena will take about 19 months according to SR's Taylor Bartle's comments. However, the five-year time frame is right up the Seattle Process's alley! Good grief...

The other option would be to just remodel the Key, which has about snowball's chance in hell in luring either league. And I haven't even touched the traffic and parking issues. Oh, have I mentioned that light rail won't reach the Key for about twenty years from now? Keep in mind that the RFP requires a study on traffic but it shouldn't take another study to figure out that the traffic in LQA/SLU is crappy. Even without any events at the Key! Well, if these studies show once and for all that the Key will not work, then I'm all for it as it'll finally put to rest a Key remodel for good. Probably explains why Chris has no problem with the Key RFP process, although he's for any plan that'll bring the Sonics and NHL back.

Stay tuned for more...
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby JAWA on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:12 pm

auroraave wrote:LOL! I think the question should be - does Lieweke etal give a sh*t about using it as a sports venue. Like I was mentioning - we have Staples Center here for sports - but that didn't stop Dolan's crew from redoing the Forum - and it has events all the time - concerts, MMA, boxing, etc. Key would be a good option for those events - and by the city retaining ownership - could be a low risk opp for all of them - but I simply do not see how that is a viable arena anymore - the footprint is garbage. Isn't the Center a dump these days? Maybe the council wants to leverage Lieweke into helping refurbish not just the Key, but the center as well. After that, then they can get Hanson to build his palace for the NBA team that will never come. Maybe Seattle can get a second WNBA team that no one will go see. God that would be so Seattle.


I like the idea of turning the Key into a concert venue because that is about as good as it will ever be. Its days of hosting the NBA are long gone. Not only is the footprint garbage, it's the smallest of all the NBA/NHL arenas. It has to be expanded, period. However, doing so means either knocking down some nearby buildings or getting rid of the International Fountain or both. Yeah, Seattleites won't be up in arms about that! :roll:
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby D-Trains on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 pm

JAWA wrote:
auroraave wrote:LOL! I think the question should be - does Lieweke etal give a sh*t about using it as a sports venue. Like I was mentioning - we have Staples Center here for sports - but that didn't stop Dolan's crew from redoing the Forum - and it has events all the time - concerts, MMA, boxing, etc. Key would be a good option for those events - and by the city retaining ownership - could be a low risk opp for all of them - but I simply do not see how that is a viable arena anymore - the footprint is garbage. Isn't the Center a dump these days? Maybe the council wants to leverage Lieweke into helping refurbish not just the Key, but the center as well. After that, then they can get Hanson to build his palace for the NBA team that will never come. Maybe Seattle can get a second WNBA team that no one will go see. God that would be so Seattle.


I like the idea of turning the Key into a concert venue because that is about as good as it will ever be. Its days of hosting the NBA are long gone. Not only is the footprint garbage, it's the smallest of all the NBA/NHL arenas. It has to be expanded, period. However, doing so means either knocking down some nearby buildings or getting rid of the International Fountain or both. Yeah, Seattleites won't be up in arms about that! :roll:


Maybe they can just make the fountain smaller and rename it the Domestic fountain.

dt
 
Posts: 59702
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby JAWA on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Shocking news from the Seattle Center's recent study on parking: https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/statu ... 0687120386

You don't say! :shock: :roll:
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby D-Trains on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:50 pm

letters to the Sports editor:

Seattle arena
Renovation a bad idea
Renovating KeyArena is a ridiculous idea! Let Chris Hansen’s group build its arena in Sodo near the light rail, I-5 and Highway 99 access. Traffic and parking will be an absolute nightmare by Seattle Center. City planners are about a decade too late on this KeyArena plan.

Beacon Rosie (online commenter)

Leave it to the experts
AECOM, the firm that prepared a report on Key­Arena’s future for the City Council, just completed the Sacramento Kings’ new digs and will build the Los Angeles Rams’ new stadium. Probably safe to assume they know what they’re doing. Renovating KeyArena will revitalize Seattle Center.

Andrei Taganov (online commenter)

Put arena near light rail
Not locating an arena adjacent to the light rail is just foolish. But then that’s the Seattle City Council.

aff (online commenter)
 
Posts: 59702
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby Sonics Rule on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:34 am

Seems ta be pretty much a no-brainer that the Occidental Way spot by the existing stadiums is the best location. And Adam Silver and the NBA recognize Seattle as a hot TV market. And we had the Sonic's already, and they were successful.

A rich businessman is bending over backwards ta buy a team and move it to Seattle or start an expansion team. He has a whole host of people on his team for management possibilities. He has the time and money ta spend on the project and he seems ta have the energy. Sacramento proved to be an elusive deal for him - he didn't give up. Sodo is the place ta center all of our energies on this now. Let's do this. Embrace the Seattle City Council! :wink:

Right.
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:54 am
Location: Dodge City, KS

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby JAWA on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:08 am

D-Trains wrote:letters to the Sports editor:

Seattle arena
Renovation a bad idea
Renovating KeyArena is a ridiculous idea! Let Chris Hansen’s group build its arena in Sodo near the light rail, I-5 and Highway 99 access. Traffic and parking will be an absolute nightmare by Seattle Center. City planners are about a decade too late on this KeyArena plan.

Beacon Rosie (online commenter)

Leave it to the experts
AECOM, the firm that prepared a report on Key­Arena’s future for the City Council, just completed the Sacramento Kings’ new digs and will build the Los Angeles Rams’ new stadium. Probably safe to assume they know what they’re doing. Renovating KeyArena will revitalize Seattle Center.

Andrei Taganov (online commenter)

Put arena near light rail
Not locating an arena adjacent to the light rail is just foolish. But then that’s the Seattle City Council.

aff (online commenter)


Although Andrei is right that a rebuilt Key will revitalize Seattle Center, it still doesn't solve the traffic and parking problems. Which the Key already has a strike against it due to the study conducted by none other than the Seattle Center themselves.
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby JAWA on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:28 am

Sonics Rule wrote:Seems ta be pretty much a no-brainer that the Occidental Way spot by the existing stadiums is the best location. And Adam Silver and the NBA recognize Seattle as a hot TV market. And we had the Sonic's already, and they were successful.

A rich businessman is bending over backwards ta buy a team and move it to Seattle or start an expansion team. He has a whole host of people on his team for management possibilities. He has the time and money ta spend on the project and he seems ta have the energy. Sacramento proved to be an elusive deal for him - he didn't give up. Sodo is the place ta center all of our energies on this now. Let's do this. Embrace the Seattle City Council! :wink:

Right.


It's no secret that the Sodo location is THE best one for a new arena. A no-brainer that is unfortunately being dealt with people with no brains. However, the Key will always get top priority since it's owned by the city, so when Chris offered to do away with the MOU, that meant nothing would be done to the Key and hence, this is where we are at right now. As for the Sacramento fiasco a couple years back (can't believe four years has already passed since Chris announced he had entered a PSA with the Maloofs), that was the NBA's doing. The NBA is damn lucky Chris didn't go after them for blatant antitrust although doing so would have ended his hopes of owning a team for good. Oh well, at least Seattle won't be wallowing in debt like Sacramento or Milwaukee due to their new arenas. We'll be sitting pretty once our new arena is built.
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA

PreviousNext

Return to NBA in Seattle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Advertising