Advertising

Re: Key Arena RFP begins on January 11th

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 pm

I don't think the NBA would demand one or the other sites, I think they would award a franchise to an owner and that would be up to them. If Hansen could find a partner that favored his site then maybe he could get someplace. That is what I have been saying all along, ever since he lost Balmer he hasn't had that guy

Postby JAWA on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:34 pm

They very well could, especially if the NBA does not like the financial arrangements at the Key. You are right, Chris still needs that one (or several) deep-pocketed investor to help fill the void that Ballmer left (although Ballmer still has a stake in Sodo arena, he just can't be a part of the NBA ownership group due to obvious reasons).

As long as OVG hasn't been granted an NBA franchise, Sodo is still very much in the game although I do admit their chances are slim.

Postby Don Gorgon on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Jack Nickelson showing an usher his ticket

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-ush ... 58068.html

Postby JAWA on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Apparently, that particular usher doesn't know who Jack Nicholson is.

Wow, Jack is still attending Lakers' games, huh. That's pretty remarkable, I remember him sitting courtside when the Sonics played the Lakers at the Forum.

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:17 pm

what I thought crazy is he seems to have it handy, what the heck is Jack Nicholson doing walking around with a ticket in the first place, geez that's Jack Nicholson! Can you imagine him hunting around for his ticket before heading to a game? Gee I knew i had it here someplace lol

Postby JAWA on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm

:lol:

Well, if the usher didn't know who he was, there might be a very good chance the person working at the ticket gate doesn't know who he is as well.

"Damn millennials" is right! :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, here's hoping Jack is still around to see the Sonics take on his beloved Lakers.

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 am

seriously, he had to have been kidding around with the usher, he has had those same courtside seats for almost 40 years with near perfect attendance, that guy is more famous in that building than the players, it was funny his showing that ticket, and I bet he can't wait for a team to pop up in Seattle again

On his being the number one celebrity Lakers fan
1: Jack Nicholson
Really now, was there any doubt? No fan — celebrity or average Joe — is more closely associated with any team than the three-time Academy Award winner is with the Lakers.
Nicholson has had courtside seats for more than three decades, both at the Forum and STAPLES. What we like about Jack is he's the consummate fan — he harangues refs, talks with opposing coaches, trash talks with players and rarely misses a game. He's shown his famous face in opposing arenas when the Lakers have made The Finals. And most important, Nicholson knows the game of basketball.

"He's been a good friend of mine ... for years," Pat Riley said, "and it's borne out of basketball more than anything else. He's simply a fanatic and has been ever since I started my career with the Lakers in 1970.

"He's a real fan. He's not one of these actors that all of a sudden get front row seats and then they're gone. He's for real. He cares."

Boy does he. While his near-perfect attendance and his courtside antics are legendary, Nicholson's fandom is also stuff of urban legend. Directors reportedly need to work their shooting schedules around Lakers home games. One report from the set of his Academy Award-winning film "The Departed" had him forbidding all Celtics gear from the set of the Boston-based movie. Whether that's true or not just adds to Nicholson's charm and more than tightens his iron grip on our top spot.

And what does Jack think about being named the top Lakers fan of all time? His publicist, of course, passed along this message to us:

"He is deeply honored and only hopes that he has been as consistently entertaining as the Lakers have been."

http://www.nba.com/features/lakers_celebs_070309.html

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 am

got interested in this, poking around some more, here is a sports editorial from China at the time of Koby's retirement concerned about Jack being next.

Jack created the celeb courtside phenomena, there its put at 46 years

In the ultimate “see and be seen” town, courtside seats at a Lakers game are the ultimate “see and be seen” accessory and it was Jack, with season tickets for the last 46 years, who was basically the first celeb to put down roots courtside.

Not surprisingly it was Jack in the Kobe video tribute that spoke last. “Goodbye Kobe,” he said, “I think I may retire with you. I’m not sure.”

courtside tickets at a Lakers game now is considered the most sought-after ticket in sports. Even Jerry Buss didn't have courtside tickets :shock:

In a town where influence and money can guarantee just about anything, there remains one untouchable frontier in the it’s-all-about-who-you-know game of Hollywood: courtside Lakers tickets. Even Jerry Buss, team owner since 1979, has been unable to secure permanent residence as the seats are grandfathered from owner to owner. After notoriously offering courtside ticket holders a premium for their spots — none was willing to forfeit — Buss and his family were relegated to one of the arena’s 160 luxury suites. So how does one get courtside? Patience (lots) and friends both powerful and generous.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... eats-74780

Postby JAWA on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 pm

The International moved to Vancouver due to Key construction...hey anybody got anything better to post?

https://www.theflyingcourier.com/2018/3 ... renovation

PreviousNext

Return to NBA in Seattle