Advertising

Re: Another Decent Week for the Pac12

Postby Michael K 2 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm

kc26 wrote:Is it not relevant to how other conferences did?

The Big 10 for example. You brought up Rutgers hurting the Pac12. Does that not hurt the Big 10 even more than the Huskies, since they will be playing far more games against Rutgers than the ONE the Huskies played?

Not if the Big 10 Powers blow Rutgers out. Like I said after the Rutgets game, every Big 10 Final Four hopeful on Rutgers schedule is now licking their chops at a chance to weaken Washington's SOS. Once again, go back to the selection shows last year. The words "common opponent" were used several times. How many times do you suppose someone is going to say "the best Non Conference win Washington has is against a team that lost to a FCS team the next week!"?

The Big 10 doesn't have to worry about that. Every time one of their teams losses a Conference game it is a good loss because they other team is considered to be so good. If Washington or USC losses I doubt they are afforded the same grace.

I notice you want to focus an awful lot on Rutgers. I guess that is actually the only thing you now disagree with me on about how this really wasn't a good two week start for the Pac? You may want to look again at some of the struggles. The two highlights are UCLA falling behind by like 5 TDs to a mediocre opponent and coming back and one of our Power Houses kicking the crap out of another?

Postby D-Trains on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:
kc26 wrote:Is it not relevant to how other conferences did?

The Big 10 for example. You brought up Rutgers hurting the Pac12. Does that not hurt the Big 10 even more than the Huskies, since they will be playing far more games against Rutgers than the ONE the Huskies played?

Not if the Big 10 Powers blow Rutgers out. Like I said after the Rutgets game, every Big 10 Final Four hopeful on Rutgers schedule is now licking their chops at a chance to weaken Washington's SOS. Once again, go back to the selection shows last year. The words "common opponent" were used several times. How many times do you suppose someone is going to say "the best Non Conference win Washington has is against a team that lost to a FCS team the next week!"?

The Big 10 doesn't have to worry about that. Every time one of their teams losses a Conference game it is a good loss because they other team is considered to be so good. If Washington or USC losses I doubt they are afforded the same grace.

I notice you want to focus an awful lot on Rutgers. I guess that is actually the only thing you now disagree with me on about how this really wasn't a good two week start for the Pac? You may want to look again at some of the struggles. The two highlights are UCLA falling behind by like 5 TDs to a mediocre opponent and coming back and one of our Power Houses kicking the crap out of another?

So in the locker room before the game, instead of a "Let's win one for the Gipper speech" the head coaches of OSU, Penn St. and Wisconsin are going to go with the "Let's go there and weaken Washington's SOS!" lol

Sorry that is a bit much. :)

dt

Postby JAWA on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Eastern Michigan isn't an FCS school. They are members of the MAC, which is the same conference as last year's Group of Five darlings, the Western Michigan Broncos. But yeah, it didn't help that Rutgers laid an egg against the mighty Eagles last Saturday.

Postby kc26 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 am

Michael K 2 wrote:

How many times do you remember them saying ............... team A beat team C by 40 points whereas team B only beat team C by 16?

Not saying some talking head couldn't have tried to go there, but it's really about winning games.

Postby Ms2Playoffs17 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

You guys need to quit fretting. Huskies need to just take care of business. They are better than every team on regular season schedule, better than a team they potentially match up with in P12 champ gm in USC. Let's go undefeated, earn the top seed and win that title!

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 am

kc26 wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:

How many times do you remember them saying ............... team A beat team C by 40 points whereas team B only beat team C by 16?

Not saying some talking head couldn't have tried to go there, but it's really about winning games.

Only every selection show I watched last year. Sorry, the words common opponents came up all the time.

Once again fellas, I am not talking about something 10 weeks away. I disagree with the actual topic of this thread. It was not a good week for the PAC, and this Conference has had nothing happen in the first two weeks that raised the perception of the Conference.

And yes Darren, I do believe that if Michigan or any other Big 10 team and Washington are still close in the ranking when they play Rutgers that Jim Harbaugh, or anyone else, will go after Rutgers more than he might have.

Postby altaholic on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am

I'm getting conditioned to the CP way...let's just worry about Fresno State.

We're two games into the season and everyone is worked up about how the final 4 will be determined.

How about that Jonathan Smith guy?

Postby kc26 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am

Only every selection show I watched last year. Sorry, the words common opponents came up all the time.

Common opponents yes, rehashing the scores of the games, no.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:59 am

kc26 wrote:

Common opponents yes, rehashing the scores of the games, no.

So, you don't remember all the conversations about one team playing this team close, this team blowing that team out? Then you either didn't watch or you forgot.

Sorry, if you actually think that Washington and Michigan can be very close in the end, have the same record, and equal resumes, yet Washington beat Rutgers by 16 and Michigan wins by 30 that they won't take that into account then you and I will have to agree to disagree. If you don't think Jim Harbaugh, or any other Big 10 coach with playoff aspirations doesn't know that as well? Then once again we will have to agree to disagree.

As for the actual topic of this conversation? No, this Conference, with mediocre out of Conference wins, some bad losses by the AZ schools, and Stanford getting taken to the woodshed by the other Conference Power, has NOT done anything currently to improve it's perception nationally. So, once again, I disagree with the premise of this topic.

So, before you want to speak in hypotheticals and ask me what I think will happen if an undefeated USC plays an undefeated Washington in the CCG? That has nothing to do with what I am saying. THIS topic was about THIS Conference NOW. Nothing has happened to change the minds of all the experts that believe all the other Power 5 Conferences are ahead of us.

Do I agree? No. I think they are flat out wrong.

I think besides Alabama the SEC is mediocre, but that won't matter because the history of some of those schools will keep them all ranked and make wins look better and losses look not as bad. I disagree with this, but my opinion doesn't matter.

I think the ACC is weak besides Louisville and Clemson and I don't think either of those schools are as good as USC or Washington. But my opinion doesn't matter.

I think the Big 10 is the Big 10. All hype and little substance. Oklahoma is good, but to blow out the pre season Conference favorite at the Big House? The problem is now all we hear is how good Oklahoma is. If USC or Washington got blown out in a Top 10 battle at home we would hear how soft the Pac is. I hate that.

The Big 12 may be better than I thought, but besides Oklahoma, who else is there and how will they prove anything? I don't think there is much else out of Conference left to help them, but I could be wrong.

So, if you want to look into the future, fine, I will. If you want to talk about how I feel this Conference stacks up, I will. But, if you think Rutgers hanging with Washington and then losing to an FCS team doesn't hurt the Conference I won't agree. If you want to tell me last week, were the AZ schools got waxed and WSU looked like a soap opera and needed a litany of BSU mistakes to win at home doesn't hurt the Conference? I won't agree. And sorry, right now, a Stanford win may have even helped this Conference more than a USC win, but it certainly isn't helped by the team that was a Dark Horse to win the North, and widely considered the 3rd best team in the Conference getting blown out. They gave up over 300 yards rushing. The total yards was nearly double in USC's favor.

USC would have probably even bounced back from a lose to Stanford to run the table and win the South, all while staying relevant nationally. Stanford, from their standing as the 14th or so ranked team in the Conference, MIGHT have even been able to stay relevant without getting blown out. But now, they are in a deep hole. Sorry, I won't agree that Stanford getting waxed doesn't hurt this Conference. Part of what Big 10 people always pointed to last year was the number of teams at the top. I kept pointing to the fact that since there are 18 freaking teams in the Conference that non of the teams at the top play each other. The Pac will be damaged, even if only a little bit, but the perceived number 3 getting curb stomped.

So, no, I do not see anything that happened this week or last that helps this Conference.

And no, I am not worked up about anything, I am not fretting. I commented on a topic that talked about right now. I disagreed with the notion that anything good had really happened.

Someone please point to were I said we are screwed down the road? I disagreed that the Conference had a good week. USC and Washington both control their own destiny. Hell, if they both meet in December undefeated and the game is a close one, who's to say they won't both get into the Final 4? I am here to say in that instance there may be a small chance that happens.

But, this topic wasn't about December, wasn't about the Final 4. So, I foolishly commented on the topic. I guess that won't happen again! :lol:

Postby kc26 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:

So, you don't remember all the conversations about one team playing this team close, this team blowing that team out? Then you either didn't watch or you forgot.

Sorry, if you actually think that Washington and Michigan can be very close in the end, have the same record, and equal resumes, yet Washington beat Rutgers by 16 and Michigan wins by 30 that they won't take that into account then you and I will have to agree to disagree. If you don't think Jim Harbaugh, or any other Big 10 coach with playoff aspirations doesn't know that as well? Then once again we will have to agree to disagree.

Yes, I think we will have to agree to disagree.

What I remember is a late season Ohio State win 17-16 over a 3-9 Michigan State team ........... a game in which they were outgained by the lowly Spartans and which would have gone into overtime if not for the Spartans attempt to win it with a 2 point convesion ........ having no affect.

PreviousNext

Return to Husky Football