Advertising

Re: Another Decent Week for the Pac12

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:56 pm

kc26 wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:

So, you don't remember all the conversations about one team playing this team close, this team blowing that team out? Then you either didn't watch or you forgot.

Sorry, if you actually think that Washington and Michigan can be very close in the end, have the same record, and equal resumes, yet Washington beat Rutgers by 16 and Michigan wins by 30 that they won't take that into account then you and I will have to agree to disagree. If you don't think Jim Harbaugh, or any other Big 10 coach with playoff aspirations doesn't know that as well? Then once again we will have to agree to disagree.

Yes, I think we will have to agree to disagree.

What I remember is a late season Ohio State win 17-16 over a 3-9 Michigan State team ........... a game in which they were outgained by the lowly Spartans and which would have gone into overtime if not for the Spartans attempt to win it with a 2 point convesion ........ having no affect.

Yeah, because BEATING Michigan State, a Conference Foe, on the road, is exactly like LOSING to an FCS school, at home. And they did spend time on the that subject, comparing it to how the other teams played against Michigan State. You seem to have forgotten that Michigan State hung with Michigan AT Michigan. Michigan AND Ohio State played close games with Michigan State. Those TWO things were weighed.

Just like a close win will be weighed against the other teams who should beat Rutgers. It may not matter, maybe Rutgers will hang with the other Big 10 teams. BUT....the topic was about this week and it's effect on this Conference NOW. Not sure why you are hung up on the CRAZY notion that our SOS may be hurt by one of our teams LOSING at home to an FCS team. But by all means, harp away. What we know right now is a team that hung with Washington then lost to an FCS team at home. Again, it amazes me that you find it strange that someone would think that would hurt a resume.

I am sorry, but comparing a close win at Michigan State is nothing like a loss to an FCS team at home. Not to mention if close wins were the death of a school, how did Washington get in with it's OT win at AZ? I am talking about potential pit falls down the road if Big 10 schools handle Rutgers. As of now, Rutgers hurts our SOS.

I didn't say it RUINED the Conference. But, for the last time, the topic was "another decent week for the Pac 12." I listed reasons why it was not. But you go on believing that a team you struggled to beat can lose to an FCS team at home and have that help your resume! Stanford torched, both AZ schools lose bad, Oregon nearly blows a big lead, Cal underperforms, and WSU proves to be less mistake prone than BSU. Yeah, great week.

Postby kc26 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Michael, you are actually making my point for me. It's wins that count not scores.

That Michigan State team that nearly beat Ohio State, struggled early in the season against not only a lower division team .......... Furman, but a Furman team that finished with a 3-8 record in that lower division. If you are going to really look at scores, that type of analysis would have affected them BIG TIME.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

kc26 wrote:Michael, you are actually making my point for me. It's wins that count not scores.

That Michigan State team that nearly beat Ohio State, struggled early in the season against not only a lower division team .......... Furman, but a Furman team that finished with a 3-8 record in that lower division. If you are going to really look at scores, that type of analysis would have affected them BIG TIME.

You are right KC. If Washington and Michigan are the last two the committee is looking at to get in I am sure that Washington's 16 point victory won't matter if Michigan wins by more? Not to mention the fact that Rutgers was supposed to be the better of our OOC games.

I fail to see what you are so hung up on. If Washington had blown out a team that lost at home to an FCS team, fine. But do you know how many times we are going to hear that we didn't score an offensive TD until the 3rd Quarter....against a team that lost at home to an FCS team the next week? How Rutgers ran for over 130 on us and got two more first downs and controlled the time of possession.....and then turned around the next week and lost to an FCS school? All the while turning around and losing to an FCS school at home the next week?

You can believe that all they will say is a win is a win is a win. But for Christ sakes, this was not a good week for the Conference. That was my freaking point, and you keep wanting to harp on what you THINK will happen 10 or so weeks from now. RIGHT now, Rurgers losing to an FCS school is one of several things that made this NOT a good week for the Conference. It REDUCES it's SOS because they are now viewed as even worse than they were last week!

For the last time, I am not forecasting the future. I am flat out telling you that anyone that watches college football knows that SOS is a big thing. They also know that when one of your opponents loses that often times HURTS your SOS. When they lose to an FCS school that ALWAYS hurts your SOS.

Let's change this. If Rutgers started winning, don't you think that would HELP Washington's SOS? And if that is in fact true, wouldn't losing to a FCS school do the exact opposite?

Good god man. You keep focusing on what you think may happen down the road. RUTGERS LOST TO AN FCS SCHOOL. That in no way shape or form helps Washington, and when added in to the other things I have mentioned, makes last week NOT another decent week for the Pac 12. Thus, my comment, on this thread, that is now becoming an utterly ridiculous waste of time.

You are right. There has never been any proof ever in the history of college football that less than impressive wins over bad teams can hurt someone! :roll:

Postby ddraig on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:40 pm

I seriously doubt the score of the first game of the season will impact how high the Huskies will be ranked. Most of the people voting didn't even watch the game. For all they know, the Huskies pulled all their starters after the first series of the second half. If the game was such a big deal, why did the Huskies move up one spot in the polls?

Postby D-Trains on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 pm

ddraig wrote:I seriously doubt the score of the first game of the season will impact how high the Huskies will be ranked. Most of the people voting didn't even watch the game. For all they know, the Huskies pulled all their starters after the first series of the second half. If the game was such a big deal, why did the Huskies move up one spot in the polls?

Good point. Also if we win the Pac 12 championship over USC we are in.......even with one loss......just like last season.

dt

Postby Michael K 2 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:58 am

D-Trains wrote:
ddraig wrote:I seriously doubt the score of the first game of the season will impact how high the Huskies will be ranked. Most of the people voting didn't even watch the game. For all they know, the Huskies pulled all their starters after the first series of the second half. If the game was such a big deal, why did the Huskies move up one spot in the polls?

Good point. Also if we win the Pac 12 championship over USC we are in.......even with one loss......just like last season.

dt

For the last time. That loss hurts the Huskies SOS, there is absolutely no denying that. It was another example of why it wasn't a good week for the Conference. I am baffled at how this comes as such a shock to everyone.

Please point out where I said we wouldn't get a Final 4 shot because of it. And after that, please point out how the Huskies SOS getting weaker is good for the Conference?

Postby Mrudub on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:40 am

Michael K 2 wrote:
D-Trains wrote:

dt

For the last time. That loss hurts the Huskies SOS, there is absolutely no denying that. It was another example of why it wasn't a good week for the Conference. I am baffled at how this comes as such a shock to everyone.

Please point out where I said we wouldn't get a Final 4 shot because of it. And after that, please point out how the Huskies SOS getting weaker is good for the Conference?

I have to agree that struggling against Rutgers and then, them losing hurts the Dawgs.

Despite the fact that the Huskies moved up a notch in the polls pretty much tells you that the voters don't really invest a lot of time analyzing every team. (One voter had the Huskies 14th!)

The selection committee, on the other hand, will analyze each and every game and pay close attention to the SOS. Rutgers loss can very well have derailed the Dawgs Playoff chances if, like last year, ther's a logjam at the 4th spot.

Hopefully Rutgers can regroup and have a decent season...it'll only help the Dawgs!

Go Dawgs!

Postby kc26 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 am

Again, I think the Rutgers loss hurts the Big 10 more than it does the Pac12. Further, Nebraska currently losing 14-0 in the 3rd quarter against Northern Illinois, and Michigan struggling against Air Force.

Postby kc26 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:15 am

Texas A&M losing to Louisiana in the 3rd quarter and being outgained 2 to 1.

Postby Michael K 2 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 am

kc26 wrote:Again, I think the Rutgers loss hurts the Big 10 more than it does the Pac12. Further, Nebraska currently losing 14-0 in the 3rd quarter against Northern Illinois, and Michigan struggling against Air Force.

Once again, was the topic about it being a decent week for the PAC 12 or the Big 10? I guess as must have misread that. :roll:

It hurts UW already weak SOS. Potentially gives the Big 12 top teams to beat up on a team's Washington struggled to put away. Non of that translates to a decent week for the PAC 12.

Seriously, I guess my mistake was staying on topic. I didn't realize the topic of the thread was "all the ways the Pac 12 had a better week than the Big 10, setting up no possible issues down the road, all while the bottom of the PAC 12 is some how shitty, but not as bad as the Big 10". If that was the topic than you are correct, I guess I am off base here.

PreviousNext

Return to Husky Football