Advertising

Re: Petersen: "Heck yes" (there's QB competition)

Postby kc26 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:13 am

Roses4Huskies wrote:Definitely regret the missed opportunity of a national championship and a p12 championship when the team goes 10-3 again, finishing second in the north and losing whatever bowl game, looking like an average football team

My daughter is currently in a statistics class. I can't wait to tell her tonight that 10-3 is average. We may argue a little, but I am sure I will convince her once I tell her that Roses4Huskies says it is so.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am

After watching Jake last year I believe he regressed....and it may just be that without John Ross to cover up the warts they showed through more? He really does not have much arm strength, and while I believe the guy is a smart kid, he made some really dumb decisions. One thing I will say about it is that many of those decisions show he certainly has confidence in his ability. That being said, the biggest issue I had with him besides a lack of arm strength was his body language when things went bad. Watching him pout on the sidelines to end the ASU game was a bad look. He played a terrible game that day, but I put much more of the blame on the play calling as they decided for some reason while ASU was going to sit back in zone we were going to let a QB with a weak arm try to beat them instead of pound away at them with our big O Line and stud tailbacks. Remember, that is the game Trey got hurt in the second half....yet even up to that point we made zero effort to get the running game going!

That being said....why would anyone in their right mind think that the coaches would knowingly play Browning if they had a better option on the sidelines? What have we seen out of the turn around this staff has done for this team to suggest they aren't more capable of deciding who should play and who shouldn't that someone posting on the Seattle Times message board?

Postby kc26 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:54 am

It is interesting to me when people talk about Jake's bad decisions. His quarterback rating was 17th in the nation and tops in the Pac 12. That was after losing their #1 receiver to the NFL and their #2 receiver (behind Pettis) coming into the season. He certainly did make mistakes, and I think he is capable of better, BUT .......... there are a whole lot of teams that had worse than we did.

I think sometimes as fans we watch all these highlights of other teams and see their quarterbacks making really great plays, but what we do not see as much of is all the bad plays they made.

Postby altaholic on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:That being said....why would anyone in their right mind think that the coaches would knowingly play Browning if they had a better option on the sidelines? What have we seen out of the turn around this staff has done for this team to suggest they aren't more capable of deciding who should play and who shouldn't that someone posting on the Seattle Times message board?

MK...in watching these boards...I thought that was the reason for that the majority of people DO post here.

Just follow the Mariner posts...everyone there thinks they have access to all the information used to make roster decisions and that they are better GM's than DiPoto

I agree with you...Browning will start even if he has one arm next year...and I say that because I readily admit that Pete is far more capable of making a roster decision than I am.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm

kc26 wrote:
Roses4Huskies wrote:Definitely regret the missed opportunity of a national championship and a p12 championship when the team goes 10-3 again, finishing second in the north and losing whatever bowl game, looking like an average football team

My daughter is currently in a statistics class. I can't wait to tell her tonight that 10-3 is average. We may argue a little, but I am sure I will convince her once I tell her that Roses4Huskies says it is so.

Well beating the BYUs, North Dakota St's, Oregon St.'s of the world -- teams in the bottom 100 of FBS or even FCS competition, while losing to T25 teams like Auburn, Stanford and a potential bowl team as I project, yes that makes you average at best. It's about the schedule you play, who you beat.

Postby D-Trains on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 pm

altaholic wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:That being said....why would anyone in their right mind think that the coaches would knowingly play Browning if they had a better option on the sidelines? What have we seen out of the turn around this staff has done for this team to suggest they aren't more capable of deciding who should play and who shouldn't that someone posting on the Seattle Times message board?

MK...in watching these boards...I thought that was the reason for that the majority of people DO post here.

Just follow the Mariner posts...everyone there thinks they have access to all the information used to make roster decisions and that they are better GM's than DiPoto

I agree with you...Browning will start even if he has one arm next year...and I say that because I readily admit that Pete is far more capable of making a roster decision than I am.

Hey are you talking about me? :)

When you say one arm are you talking about his left arm or right arm?

dt

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:46 pm

kc26 wrote:It is interesting to me when people talk about Jake's bad decisions. His quarterback rating was 17th in the nation and tops in the Pac 12. That was after losing their #1 receiver to the NFL and their #2 receiver (behind Pettis) coming into the season. He certainly did make mistakes, and I think he is capable of better, BUT .......... there are a whole lot of teams that had worse than we did.

I think sometimes as fans we watch all these highlights of other teams and see their quarterbacks making really great plays, but what we do not see as much of is all the bad plays they made.

That's why QB rating is a horrible judge of QB play. I mean here is example numero uno when you have Browning rated the way he was.

Watch the tape! Here;s a kid that attempted 40-50 percent check downs, wr screens, etc i.e. passes behind the LOS where intended receiver is stationary (or moving slightly forward) w/ no defender around him. My unborn daughter can hit those throws right now. Anything 5 yards or further down the field was hit and miss for Jake. All season. And it got worse as the season went along.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:
That being said....why would anyone in their right mind think that the coaches would knowingly play Browning if they had a better option on the sidelines? What have we seen out of the turn around this staff has done for this team to suggest they aren't more capable of deciding who should play and who shouldn't that someone posting on the Seattle Times message board?

You guys are saying that the decision has already been made and that Browning will be the starter in '18 when we haven't even seen the first team practice. None of us are right right now

Postby altaholic on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Roses4Huskies wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:

You guys are saying that the decision has already been made and that Browning will be the starter in '18 when we haven't even seen the first team practice. None of us are right right now

No...one side of the argument is going to be right!

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Roses4Huskies wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:

No, I am not. I believe that if Petersen says their is a competition there will be a competition. I will also believe that who ever starts will start because they won the competition....meaning the guy that is playing gives us a better chance at winning than the guy that isn't.

PreviousNext

Return to Husky Football