Decent chance actually if they win out.

1 Alabama 9-0 1
2 Clemson 9-0 2
3 Notre Dame 9-0 4
4 Michigan 8-1 5
5 Georgia 8-1 6
6 Oklahoma 8-1 7
7 LSU 7-2 3

The were a bit unfortunate in not jumping LSU but they should have been more dominant vs. Cal.

They need four of the teams ranked 3-7 to lose. Even if Alabama and Clemson lose the aren't jumping them.

Possible losses:

Notre Dame - vs. #13 Syracuse or long shot at USC
Michigan - at #10 OSU
Georgia - vs. Alabama or in the SEC championship game.
Oklahoma - @ #9 West Virginia
LSU - at Texas AM

dt

Re: Can the Cougs pull off a miracle and make the CFP

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:54 pm

I actually hope they make it just to see Alabama beat them 56-0. :mrgreen:

Postby Michael K 2 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I don't think they will win the Apple Cup. Let's forget about Lake's defensive backs seeming to have the Cougars number. Let's forget about the fact that Chris Petersen has yet to lose a Cup or that if it wasn't for Sark and Price we would have won the last 9. (even winning 8 of the last 9 is crazy) Let's forget about all of that. Let's forget about the Pac 12 hurting the Cougars a bit by giving a school that relies that heavily on student participation in the crowd a Friday after Thanksgiving home game.

I want to point to another oddity in the scheduling. Ten weeks into the season the Huskies are getting a Bye. Following that Bye the Huskies will play a home game against the worst team in the Division if not the Conference. That is an advantage to Washington, IMO.

I also think it is a huge advantage to our health. Honestly? I wouldn't play Trey Adams or Hunter Bryant against Oregon State unless things start going South, which at home I don't believe will happen. Getting those two back, after already getting Gaskin back and who knows, maybe getting Chico back? Huge advantage for us, IMO.

And yes, I realize that Washington will most likely be playing for a Conference Championship as well, but I truly believe that for the first time all year more pressure might be on our opponent than on us.

That being said, I am left with a "what could have been" feeling this year. If Adams doesn't get hurt and the Red Zone play calling isn't ridiculous do we lost at Auburn? If the Byes played out differently, if Gaskin doesn't get hurt and if Pete doesn't seize up at the end of the game do we lose to Oregon? If Pete doesn't inexplicably put in a kid at QB that looks like a 13 year old Point Guard from the local Junior High Basketball team do we lose to Cal? If even only one of those things happen, where are we right now?

I know that you can't "if and but", that "what if's" are crap. But this season sucked. Kind of shitty to say that about a season that could still end up with a Pac 12 Championship and trip to the Rose Bow. But, it is true. I am trying to use that as a positive. Not that long ago under Sark this would be a high water mark. Under Pete it feels like a set back.

I think what upsets me the most is I have a lot of love for this Senior Class, and they really seemed to deserve better.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Yep, unless we win the Rose Bowl by 40 this will be a what could have been type season.

dt

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 am

no.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:17 pm

The cougs took care of business with a very impressive Road win but didn't get any help elsewhere though OK State Cowboys almost pulled off a upset over Oklahoma

Postby Coug Tracks on Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Obviously have to win out and a lot of chaos would need to take place to reach the CFP. I'm not seeing enough chaos and the UW has our number until proven otherwise. I think the highest we get is #5.

Postby D-Trains on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Coug Tracks wrote:Obviously have to win out and a lot of chaos would need to take place to reach the CFP. I'm not seeing enough chaos and the UW has our number until proven otherwise. I think the highest we get is #5.

I actually didn't think any losses by the top seven were possible this week. All of the possible losses that I listed were in the coming weeks. They still need four of those teams to lose so yeah quite the long shot but FAR stranger things have happened. Would you prefer #5 and the Rose Bowl as opposed to the the Alabama Buzz saw? Can't wait for an epic Apple Cup. No way either team loses on Saturday.

Michigan - at #10 OSU
LSU - at Texas AM

Postby Coug Tracks on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm

D-Trains wrote:I actually didn't think any losses by the top seven were possible this week. All of the possible losses that I listed were in the coming weeks. They still need four of those teams to lose so yeah quite the long shot but FAR stranger things have happened. Would you prefer #5 and the Rose Bowl as opposed to the the Alabama Buzz saw? Can't wait for an epic Apple Cup. No way either team loses on Saturday.

Michigan - at #10 OSU
LSU - at Texas AM
Taking nothing away from the Rose Bowl I would prefer rolling the dice in the CFP. Really good story lines for WSU. Picked 5th in the North and 9th overall in the Pac 12 to making the CFP's would be pretty amazing. The whole Minshew committed to be a backup at 'Bama taking Wazzu to #4 and going up against Saban. Pretty good stuff. I will happily take the Rose Bowl though as if that's a consolation prize.

Long way to go to get to either and I'm taking nothing for granted. Arizona still has a chance to win the south like everyone and they put the beat down on us last year. Tate finally appears healthy this year. Cold night in Pullman with kickoff at 7:30p. Regardless, AC for the North for the third straight year.

Postby Captain 97 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 am

Well the Cuogs are not going to beat the Dawgs so its a moot point. However even if they win I think the path is looking pretty steep. Georgia is going to get spanked by Bama and I think a conference championship would leap frog the Cuogs over LSU. The problem is that in both the big 12 and the and the big 10 any upsets will likely see the victors leapfrogging over the Cuogs. If West Virginia beats Oklahoma they will be sitting their with 1 loss a conference championship and a recent win over a top 10 school. If Ohio State beats Michigan, they would be in the same boat. To me, the only option for the Cuogs to make it in would to have both of those upsets happen followed by both West Virginia and Ohio State losing in the conference championship game. I don't think that's very likely. I suppose that there is a chance that Notre Dame could lose to Syracuse but I am not convinced that The committee would take a 1 loss WSU over a 1 Loss Notre Dame.

Return to Husky Football