Advertising

If there were an 8-team playoff.....

Postby Hindemith on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:07 pm

.... do you think they still would have Michigan ahead of Washington so that the Pac-12 would be left out? Or would the committee decide to push UCF down 1 spot so that all 5 power conferences would have a representative?

To put it more simply, which team between Michigan, UCF, and UW would get left out?

Re: If there were an 8-team playoff.....

Postby Roses4Huskies on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:53 pm

I would think you'd have to take the champs of the power 5s, then whatever 3 best at large teams you wanted. That seems sensible to me.

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 am

I'd go power 5 winners. 2 at large. The top mid major school (like UCF) who has to play the #1 seed first round.

Postby Captain 97 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am

The "Power 5" is not an officially recognized entity. It was created by the Media. I don't think that the NCAA will be able to justify to the other conferences why they don't get equal treatment with an automatic bid. If an 8 team playoff happens the only way I can see it working is with all at large bids just like the current system. 99% of the time the Power 5 will get the champion in.

Postby David Gee 24 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:20 pm

I remember starting a thread in this forum years ago about how ideally a playoff would work best with the major conference champions (Pac-12, Big-10, Big-12, SEC, ACC) plus three at-large teams. Even the worst of those teams would still be at least top-twelve caliber, and that would have been as close to perfect as you can get. However, you have to admit that the "Final Four" concept has worked very well, there has been close to zero complaining about who didn't make it. Look at this year, Ohio State comes up just short and there has been virtually no controversy over it.

Postby Captain 97 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 pm

David Gee 24 wrote:I remember starting a thread in this forum years ago about how ideally a playoff would work best with the major conference champions (Pac-12, Big-10, Big-12, SEC, ACC) plus three at-large teams. Even the worst of those teams would still be at least top-twelve caliber, and that would have been as close to perfect as you can get. However, you have to admit that the "Final Four" concept has worked very well, there has been close to zero complaining about who didn't make it. Look at this year, Ohio State comes up just short and there has been virtually no controversy over it.

Really have you been paying attention? It seems to me that there has been a ton of controversy prior to this season. Especially about the teams that have made the playoff without a conference championship.

Postby David Gee 24 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:48 pm

The only controversy there's really been during the entire Final Four format was over Alabama making it to the playoff despite not winning the conference championship, and that was insincere controversy coming from Bama-haters on the Internet peanut gallery, not serious analysis. Bama ended up winning the ship which put the haters to bed.

Postby Captain 97 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:23 pm

David Gee 24 wrote:The only controversy there's really been during the entire Final Four format was over Alabama making it to the playoff despite not winning the conference championship, and that was insincere controversy coming from Bama-haters on the Internet peanut gallery, not serious analysis. Bama ended up winning the ship which put the haters to bed.

Pretty sure the same thing happened with Ohio State in 2016. Penn State beat the buckeyes and won the Big 10 but Ohio State got selected to the Playoff.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /94958306/

Postby David Gee 24 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:30 pm

And very few even cared. They pick the four best teams and they've done a really good job of it. Nobody really cares about #5. Now when they were only picking two teams, then there was a problem more often than not it seemed.

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm

I believe the committees picks have been totally justified in every selection thus far.

Oklahoma lost to a highly ranked Texas team and then avenged that loss in the B12 Championship. Their only other bad game in my eyes was the OT game against Army...

Ohio St. got absolutely smoked by Purdue, had to hang on in the 4th Q against a terrible Nebraska team, and then beat another mediocre Maryland team by 1 point where they allowed 52 in the game. This was all in a 4 game stretch and it killed them.

Next

Return to Husky Football