Advertising

Re: Something needs to be said.

Postby JAWA on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Hindemith wrote:You would think Hamdan wouldn't be so timid after a season as QB coach with the Falcons, plus being in that role with the 2016 Husky team that threw the ball downfield a lot. He must have lacked faith in the receiving corps this year. Hard to understand really.

We also had Jeff Tedford as offensive consultant in 2016 where the offense really took off. The offense just hasn't been the same since he left.

Postby Hecky on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:03 pm

JAWA wrote:
Hindemith wrote:You would think Hamdan wouldn't be so timid after a season as QB coach with the Falcons, plus being in that role with the 2016 Husky team that threw the ball downfield a lot. He must have lacked faith in the receiving corps this year. Hard to understand really.

We also had Jeff Tedford as offensive consultant in 2016 where the offense really took off. The offense just hasn't been the same since he left.

I have been saying this since he left. In 2016 Tedford left for Fresno State and our next game was against USC where our offense was completely pathetic. It has never been the same since.
There is nothing wrong with Jake. With the right offense he can be very effective. In the third quarter of tonight‘s game Gadkin was very effective. Unfortunately we kept abandoning what was working. I don’t understand how he can rip off 6 to 10+ yard runs again and again just to have the play calling try That cute bullshit that wasn’t working in the first half.
It seems like the play caller is completely overthinking strategy. Jake is not a gunslinger but he can pull some crazy **** out of his ass when Miles Gaskin is towing the line in the running game.
Any armchair quarterback sitting on his recliner during today’s Rose Bowl could see that.
Last edited by Hecky on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Michael K 2 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 pm

I simply don't understand this sense that we are a second tier program and need to hire Offensive Coordinators that need to learn on the job. All of these offensive master minds and besides one year of Tedford as a "consultant" we suffer through Smith and Hamden!? The first three quarters today were absolutely embarrassing offensively. Junior High level at best. 11 guys in the box and the first ball we throw down field is in the 4th quarter down 25!?

Postby Roses4Huskies on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:39 pm

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the fault lies with the QB. You fall behind 28-3 and realize that with a 12 min to play you have nothing to lose, so you air it out with zero reluctance.

He threw multiple 50/50 balls in which he finally gave his receivers (Bryant, Fuller and Jones) an opportunity to make a play for him and the team.

Why the receivers were suddenly open? A couple reasons. Ohio State dropped into cover 3 zone to prevent home runs and Hamdan got more aggressive in the playcalling because he knew Jake would be willing to cut the ball loose finally.

Petersen gave a token response to that question regarding scheme, playcalling. All he had to say was, "don't worry, we'll have a capable QB next season."

I think it's really easy to think playcalling is the problem. But you look a little deeper, watch some tape and realize it's really a byproduct of the QB's limitations. When you have a guy that is so reluctant to cut it loose, defensive coordinators see it on film and game plan thusly. And when the QB is then unable to diagnose pressure reads pre-snap, take advantage of a blitz, you don't see positive play.

I expect to see a completely different offense with Eason at QB and Hamdan as OC in 2019. An aggressive offense. And it's 100 percent because of the new guy under center.

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:50 pm

Roses4Huskies wrote:It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the fault lies with the QB. You fall behind 28-3 and realize that with a 12 min to play you have nothing to lose, so you air it out with zero reluctance.

He threw multiple 50/50 balls in which he finally gave his receivers (Bryant, Fuller and Jones) an opportunity to make a play for him and the team.

Why the receivers were suddenly open? A couple reasons. Ohio State dropped into cover 3 zone to prevent home runs and Hamdan got more aggressive in the playcalling because he knew Jake would be willing to cut the ball loose finally.

Petersen gave a token response to that question regarding scheme, playcalling. All he had to say was, "don't worry, we'll have a capable QB next season."

I think it's really easy to think playcalling is the problem. But you look a little deeper, watch some tape and realize it's really a byproduct of the QB's limitations. When you have a guy that is so reluctant to cut it loose, defensive coordinators see it on film and game plan thusly. And when the QB is then unable to diagnose pressure reads pre-snap, take advantage of a blitz, you don't see positive play.

I expect to see a completely different offense with Eason at QB and Hamdan as OC in 2019. An aggressive offense. And it's 100 percent because of the new guy under center.

That's where you and I differ.

I think our offensive staff finally allowed Jake to cut it loose. I really do feel like the staff told him they want to win games by running it and controlling the ball.

Jake looked to me like a free bird with the shackles of Pete, Smith and Hamden telling him he's not allowed to take chances off of him.

Postby Michael K 2 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Remember when Little Johnie Smith sucked, and all he needed was Jake Browning? I'm not buying it, and Roses, go ahead and find me the link were Pete said "don't worry, we will have a capable QB next year". You are full of ****.

They will look long and hard at the offense, and the first thing every coach on staff that works with the offense should do is look in the damn mirror! The fourth quarter tonight is what this team was capable of. Between the 20s against Auburn is what this team was capable of. Right up to the give up before settling for a FG against Oregon is what this team is capable of. This team was capable of a lot more, and IMO, the grown men paid to coach them got in the way! These guys coach like scared little babies, and it pisses me off.

You have Herbstreet begging for them to use Bryant, and we've had Brock Huard calling for Pete to call plays ever since the Cal debacle. There was talent on the field, but it was never utilized this year, and it's a damn shame. All we saw for three quarters were ridiculous one receiver option roll outs and sideways passes. Down 25 someone kicked Hamden in the ass, and low an behold we go down field and all of a sudden the 11 defenders within six yards of the LOS defense doesn't work anymore! Who the Hell knew! . Herbstreet knew it after the first three and out, it took Bush another three quarters. The guy is not ready to be an OC, and we know real well what that looks like cuz we had Smith!

Postby Rooosevelt on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:20 pm

I think OSU decided to play a [Not Lose] philosophy in the second half. Perhaps, this explains UW's offensive "explosion" in the 4th quarter.

Clearly, UW has flaws in pass blocking and wr's ability to separate from defenders. Hopefully, reinforcements are in the pipeline for 2019.

Truly, I am anxious to see who will be next years QB.

Postby openup58 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:32 am

Nothing against this years team but I honestly feel this team will be much better without Browing and Gaskin.

With the returning players and with Jabob Eason most likely taking over at QB, we should be back in the title hunt again in 2019.

Eason and Salvon Ahmed should provide for a much better and balanced attack then Browning and Gaskin. This will allow for the lack of elite deep threat WR's a chance to be more open. Peterson will have to change things at Offensive coordinator but we will see

I guess time will only tell

Postby D-Trains on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 am

Rooosevelt wrote:I think OSU decided to play a [Not Lose] philosophy in the second half. Perhaps, this explains UW's offensive "explosion" in the 4th quarter.

Clearly, UW has flaws in pass blocking and wr's ability to separate from defenders. Hopefully, reinforcements are in the pipeline for 2019.

Truly, I am anxious to see who will be next years QB.

Let me alleviate your anxiety with two hints. His initials are JE and he hails from Lakes Stevens, WA.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:12 am

openup58 wrote:Nothing against this years team but I honestly feel this team will be much better without Browing and Gaskin.

With the returning players and with Jabob Eason most likely taking over at QB, we should be back in the title hunt again in 2019.

Eason and Salvon Ahmed should provide for a much better and balanced attack then Browning and Gaskin. This will allow for the lack of elite deep threat WR's a chance to be more open. Peterson will have to change things at Offensive coordinator but we will see

I guess time will only tell

We lose the offensive lineman of the year in the PAC 12, the schools all time leading rusher, and just about every player of impact on the defense, and you are excited about Ahmed? Sometimes I think we spend too much time reading the hype, Ahmed has done next to nothing all year...if Eason doesn't light it up this is an Alamo Bowl team at best, especially if we are going to be subjected to the same BS play calling.

By the way, Gaskin and Ahmed raced five times earlier this season. Ahmed admitted Gaskin beat him three times. So, the guy who can't seem to find holes as a tailback, who's greatest attribute is supposed to be game breaking speed, lost three out of five times to the back who us supposedly not a game breaker. My expectations for Ahmed have dwindled with every single game I've watched him. Yet, let's be excited that the leading rusher in program history is getting out of our way!?

Sorry, this team takes a huge step back if Trey Adams doesn't get much better than what I saw out of him to finish this season and Eason doesn't put up video game numbers! Blows me away that ANYONE has watched this Senior class, and especially Gaskin, and is happy to see them go! Add in that Murphy and Rapp are almost certainly gone as well, and this "disappointing" season may be looked back at pretty fondly in less than 12 months.

PreviousNext

Return to Husky Football