Advertising

Re: Something needs to be said.

Postby 57reasons on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:11 pm

openup58 wrote:Nothing against this years team but I honestly feel this team will be much better without Browing and Gaskin.

With the returning players and with Jabob Eason most likely taking over at QB, we should be back in the title hunt again in 2019.

Eason and Salvon Ahmed should provide for a much better and balanced attack then Browning and Gaskin. This will allow for the lack of elite deep threat WR's a chance to be more open. Peterson will have to change things at Offensive coordinator but we will see

I guess time will only tell

A lot of talk about the lack of deep receivers, unfairly because they had to follow Pettis and Ross. I'd say they are at least adequate, Browning just didnt have the arm strength to get it there without a completely clean pocket to set from, and even then he'd have to throw it early. Roses is right in that opponents clued into that this year and game-planned appropriately. Cant do that next year though. :)

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:31 pm

Yep, the opponents game planned...and our response was to curl up in a ball and suck our thumb. Eleven players on defense within six yards of the line of scrimmage and we waited until down four scores to throw downfield. Was sure a fun 4th quarter when we did! The coaches played about as scared as they possibly could, and for a staff lead by Chris Petersen I am stunned at how shitty they coached this year. They honestly should all be ashamed. You can't find one loss this year, hell, probably not one GAME this year we're our coaches didn't looked lost a few different times.

These are kids, the coaches are supposed to help them, not get in the way. This aught to be a VERY long off season for Pete and his staff. If not, expect more of the same moving forward.

I love it, the other team gameplanned! No **** they did, did we? I have never seen 11 defenders around the line of scrimmage kije that only to watch dump offs, fly sweeps, bubble screens and roll out passes with one option. Throw the damn ball downfield! Hunter Bryant burned his redshirt yesterday and the guy was on a freaking milk carton for three quarters!

Must be nice to coach at Washington as a grown man, because for six years now I have heard every ill of the offense is on the QB. You know, the guy that as a 19 year old kid won Conference Player of the year!?

It was Cyler's fault, then Jake was too young, then they set records, but then Jake sucked again. Wrong, we had a guy with a clue in Jeff Tedford. He left and Smith became a moron again, then thank God his alma mater signs him, so who do we sign? Someone under qualified, again, but one who has a relationship with Pete.

Time for Pete to make the tough call and get an offensive play caller with a clue. We had one for one year, and that was sure fun! Yes, I realize Smith was technically the OC, but it sure is funny how different the offense looked with a guy like Tedford holding his hand!

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:Remember when Little Johnie Smith sucked, and all he needed was Jake Browning? I'm not buying it, and Roses, go ahead and find me the link were Pete said "don't worry, we will have a capable QB next year". You are full of ****.

They will look long and hard at the offense, and the first thing every coach on staff that works with the offense should do is look in the damn mirror! The fourth quarter tonight is what this team was capable of. Between the 20s against Auburn is what this team was capable of. Right up to the give up before settling for a FG against Oregon is what this team is capable of. This team was capable of a lot more, and IMO, the grown men paid to coach them got in the way! These guys coach like scared little babies, and it pisses me off.

You have Herbstreet begging for them to use Bryant, and we've had Brock Huard calling for Pete to call plays ever since the Cal debacle. There was talent on the field, but it was never utilized this year, and it's a damn shame. All we saw for three quarters were ridiculous one receiver option roll outs and sideways passes. Down 25 someone kicked Hamden in the ass, and low an behold we go down field and all of a sudden the 11 defenders within six yards of the LOS defense doesn't work anymore! Who the Hell knew! . Herbstreet knew it after the first three and out, it took Bush another three quarters. The guy is not ready to be an OC, and we know real well what that looks like cuz we had Smith!

Ok, so first off, the quote I made up was my interpretation of what Pete probably wanted to say, what he would've said if he didn't mind hurting Jake's feelings. I didn't mean to pass it off as real.

Second, you guys are so clueless. Do you think for one minute if it was ineptitude from Hamdan, he'd still be here? It's not Hamdan! Jake was pulled in Cal game for a reason you idiots! You don't pull a senior, 4th yr starting qb wily nily after 1 half of bad football. I mean Pete stayed with Jake through all his crap play at ASU in '17 didn't he? No, this was brewing for a long time. The offense has been crap for awhile and it was clear to Pete that Jake just wasn't cutting the mustard.

Need more proof? How about Pete's body language along sideline yesterday? Did you see him after that failed 4th down attempt in the early 4th? Browning had Baccielia (I think..) open on the quick out but didn't get the ball there quick enough and it was batted away and Petersen cried like a little kid who'd been told he couldn't play anymore video games. His antics on the sideline are a story and complaint for another day, but clearly he showed that he saw the guy open and wanted the play made. It was not. He's fed up with Browning. I guarantee you that. He's been fed up with his play for a long, long time.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Another thing, the use of Hunter Bryant (and all other offensive targets) is solely up to the man with the ball every snap. I wish commentators and fans would realize this.

Certainly snap counts matter. So I will be interested to know Bryant's snap count. If he was out there for, say, 50 percent of the pass snaps, you have to realize it's absolutely on Jake to deliver him the ball. It's not on Hamdan.

I want to give you guys something to consider. Look at the last two seasons in how Jake targets receivers. If you look back at UWs wide receiver targets, you see primarily two guys in each yr getting the targets. And then you see a heavy dose of targets to backs like Gaskin and Coleman. In '16 Jake went Ross, Pettis or Gaskin and Coleman. Probably 85 percent of his targets. Last year it was Pettis and Bryant until he went down, then Baccielia and again with the dump downs to Gaskin and Coleman.

What that shows you is he doesn't get to his third reads often and that he fixates on certain guys not only thru a game but thru the season. That's why the TEs don't get many targets. That's why the ball isn't spread around to guys like Ty Jones or Alex Cook more.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Yep, all on the QB. Why do we even have an OC? Funny how much better the Hawks are after purging their offensive coaching staff of the dead weight.

With Tedford? Browning was the offensive player of the year....with Smith and Hamden he was average at best. But yeah, giant coincidence.

If only the woulda benched Browning and Gaskin years ago. KJCS and Coleman were the missing pieces. Sorry Rose's, it's pretty hard to read you dropping knowledge after those gems!

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Ok so first of all, Tedford was never the OC. You and I have no idea the impact he made since he was only a "consultant" and still reported to Smith who was the OC and Pete. Second, Browning was bailed out by the superb play of both Ross and Pettis that season. I think he -- as a sophomore -- was still a cockeyed, aggressive youngster that hadn't been reigned in by injury or his mistakes.

It's clear as day to anybody that watches tape, that watches Pete at his press conferences answer questions about the offense. He's clearly cagey about the O and his carefully phrasing his answers to shield blame from Browning. Yet he does say things like "we need to be more aggressive" and "our execution needs to get better." There's even been times when he talks about reads and Browning missing the optimum read.

Look, you want to see what you want to see. But if you look deeper, it's clear as crystal that ALL the fault is on Browning.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 pm

Yep, I am certain for three quarters the coaches weren't the ones calling bubble screens and roll outs. They were obviously telling Browning to go downfield but he refused, until the fourth quarter. :roll:

If this was your boy KJCS you'd be furious how everyone let him down. You are a joke. Anyone who watched the fourth quarter and believes the bullshit game plan we had for the first three quarters makes any sense needs to stop watching football.

And, if you watched this team with Tedford as a consultant and when he wasn't, and think the enormous gap in production is a coincidence, well, yep...you need to stop watching footbal.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:11 pm

There's just no helping you, Michael K. Just as dumb as a box of rocks.. :roll:

Postby Michael K 2 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Roses4Huskies wrote:There's just no helping you, Michael K. Just as dumb as a box of rocks.. :roll:

So, you believe that Browning all of a sudden became a different QB in the fourth quarter, that it wasn't a switch in game planning and playcalling, and I am the one dumb as a box of rocks?

I am not the one that said Lavon Coleman and KJCS were certain pros, hell, you had Coleman getting drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round! When it comes to football knowledge you might want to be careful about casting the first stone.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:17 pm

what's the old saying, even a blind squirrel will find a nut?

Yup, Browning made some plays in the 4th. Well, he was due. Hell, our RB had a passing TD before he did.

PreviousNext

Return to Husky Football