Advertising

Welp. Next year's roster?

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:02 pm

My guess at what the roster will look like next year.

QB - Jacob Eason
RB - Salvon Ahmed / Sean McGrew / Kamari P / Trey Lowe (flanker)
WR - Ty Jones / Marquis Spiker
WR - Aaron Fuller / Austin Osbourne
SWR - Andre Baccellia / Alex Cook / Terrell Bynum
TE - Hunter Bryant / Cade Otten
LT - Trey Adams
LG - Luke Wattenberg
C - Nick Harris
RG - Jaxson Kirkland
RT - Jared Hilbers
B/U OL Henry Roberts, Sam Taimani, MJ Ale, Henry Bainivalu, Cole Norgaard, Devin Burleson, Matteo Mele (place them where you will... honestly where I have the least knowledge)

DT - Levi Onwuzurike
DT - Faatui Tuitele / Jacob Bandes
NT - Tuli Letuligasenoa
DE - Joe Tryon / Draco Bynum / Laiatu Latu
Buck - Benning Potoa'a / Ryan Bowman
ILB - Brandon Wellington / DJ Beavers
OLB - Ariel Ngata / Jacob Sirmon / (possibly put Daniel Heimuli or Henry To'oto'o)
CB - Keith Taylor / Kamren Fabiculanan
CB - Elijah Molden / Trent McDuffie
SCB - Myles Bryant
FS - Brandon McKinney / Isaiah Gilchrist
SS - Kyler Gordon / Julius Irvin

P - Joel Whitford
PK -Timothy Horn
KR - No idea, hopefully someone other than McGrew - Ahmed? Please?
PR - No idea, hopefully someone other than Fuller - Gordon? Please?
LS - AJ Carty
H - Race Porter

What I think:

I'm obviously hyped to see what Eason can do at QB. That said, I am struggling with the concept that he'll be throwing footballs to Aaron Fuller and Andre Baccellia... I don't find them particularly explosive and I get the feeling we could waste the gift we've been given by starting them over some of the young, but more talented receivers in Spiker and Osbourne... and who knows... maybe Ford.

I actually think Kamari P could see more time as our feature back than we expect. That's not to say Ahmed won't prove his worth with more carries, I just think both will eventually weed McGrew out. McGrew was pretty overhyped coming out of HS and just doesn't have the shiftiness to make his size work. I'd like to see Trey Lowe get some carries and catch a few balls on wheel routes as well.

TE is pretty much set. Can't wait to see Eason throw to Bryant and Otten will be solid.

Our O-line should only improve in 2019... you lose McGary but replace him with Hilbers who was pretty good in Adams' absence. Hopefully Adams returns to form, Wattenberg and Kirkland make strides and Nick Harris has his best season. The backups are mostly young... we'll be redshirting everyone from the 2019 class... but that class is nice. I expect Sam Taimani and Sama Paama to make the transition to guard from DT in 2020. I could see Taimani as our center after Harris is gone.

Our DL will be young... like extremely young... but talented. Levi is set to be dominant his JR and Sr year and because we're saying goodbye to 3 SR's at DT... guys like Bandes and Tuitele will see immediate action. I think Letuligasenoa has the size to be our next Gaines and is slotted at NT for that purpose.

At DE we'll be mostly relying again on youth. Although they listed Jaylen as a DE he was never a real pass rusher and I could see our edge rush hopefully changing for the better with a more experienced Tryon and getting athletes like Bynum and Latu in there.

At ILB we're set with Wellington and Beavers... I'm glad to see Wellington get his shot to finally be the guy at this position. Do I think he will be as good as BBK? no. Is Wellington more athletic than BBK? Yes. And I think we'll see that... maybe not as technically sound but he'll do some things that BBK maybe wasn't capable of. OLB is going to be kind of a mystery unless they decide to just stick Beavers there alongside Wellington. I'd hate that of course. I want to see Ngata and Sirmon get a chance... again, I think a thing our defense was missing this year was a linebacker who could rush the passer. Once we removed Bartlett from the line he had no ability to pass rush as a linebacker... he was frankly awful. Lets give these young, athletic guys a rip and see how they do. And if we get either Heimuli or To'oto'o I'd love to see them get a shot.

I was a bit surprised to see how thin we actually our at corner if Murphy leaves. I was sad to see Joyner medically retire but he was slated to finally get his shot and I think he would have thrived. That said, I really like Keith Taylor and I think he'll be great. Question is, who starts on the opposite side if Murphy declares? I suppose Elijah Molden, but goodness is he short. He's feisty and talented, but he got smoked against Stanford when they put anybody big on him. Trent McDuffie as a true freshman is an option... but again, he's a little guy. Very talented, but little... and do the coaches have faith to start him as a true frosh? Probably not... I just don't know who else you go to unless Kyler Gordon is going to be a CB and not a safety... possible I guess. Myles Bryant is obviously our slot.

At safety we're going to be really, really young. I haven't liked what I've seen from McKinney in the times he's gotten to play this year. He was terrible in the Rose Bowl which has me concerned. Julius Irvin and Kyler Gordon have got to get their chances eventually... Like I said, maybe Gordon starts at corner next year and that leaves McKinney and Irvin as the safeties... I don't know. A lot of talent in this group... just have no idea how they are going to perform.

We're going to have a new kicker. He's good. Which is good.

I'd love to see us get our better athletes in the game to return kickoffs and punts again... let Ahmed return K/O's and let Gordon, or someone super athletic to return punts. Both McGrew and Fuller suck at this.
Last edited by BroadcastingHusky on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Welp. Next year's roster?

Postby 57reasons on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:17 pm

BroadcastingHusky wrote:My guess at what the roster will look like next year.

QB - Jacob Eason
RB - Salvon Ahmed / Sean McGrew / Trey Lowe (flanker)
WR - Ty Jones / Marquis Spiker
WR - Aaron Fuller / Austin Osbourne
SWR - Andre Baccellia / Alex Cook / Terrell Bynum
TE - Hunter Bryant / Cade Otten
LT - Trey Adams
LG - Luke Wattenberg
C - Nick Harris
RG - Jaxson Kirkland
RT - Jared Hilbers
B/U OL Henry Roberts, Sam Taimani, MJ Ale, Henry Bainivalu, Cole Norgaard, Nate Burleson, Matteo Mele (place them where you will... honestly where I have the least knowledge)

DT - Levi Onwuzurike
DT - Faatui Tuitele / Jacob Bandes
NT - Tuli Letuligasenoa
DE - Joe Tryon / Draco Bynum / Laiatu Latu
Buck - Benning Potoa'a / Ryan Bowman
ILB - Brandon Wellington / DJ Beavers
OLB - Ariel Ngata / Jacob Sirmon / (possibly put Daniel Heimuli or Henry To'oto'o)
CB - Keith Taylor / Kamren Fabiculanan
CB - Elijah Molden / Trent McDuffie
SCB - Myles Bryant
FS - Brandon McKinney / Isaiah Gilchrist
SS - Kyler Gordon / Julius Irvin

P - Joel Whitford
PK -Timothy Horn
KR - No idea, hopefully someone other than McGrew - Ahmed? Please?
PR - No idea, hopefully someone other than Fuller - Gordon? Please?
LS - AJ Carty
H - Race Porter

I'd be surprised if NATE Burleson has any eligibility left. Even more surprised to see the ex-WR leave his NFL Network gig to try his hand on the OL. :wink:

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Woops. Meant Devin... watched a NFL clip on YouTube and must have had Nate on the brain.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:06 pm

I think you did a good job overall, Broadcasting Husky, of assessing the roster and predicting 2019 but there's a couple things I'd like to pick out.

1, you completely left out Dom Hampton who will be a key factor at corner. 2, I don't think both Irvin and Kyler are going to safety, I think just one. Hopefully UW adds Turner as well as Williams and KamFab there (pretty sure latter was listed at S on the signing day media release). I'm with you. Not a big proponent for McKinney. He's never shown up for me and then yesterday he was in over his head against Haskins no doubt about it. I keep hearing NFL plaudits about him from Lake, but I don't see it. Not yet. He needs to get better with his spacing in zone and his football IQ as well as bulk up 20 pounds.

That said, I'm happy to see Jojo go. I was a big fan of his thru '17 but this yr he played at least a couple steps slower (and he was never that fast to begin with). Just bad angles and slow to get to the ball every time. I'm frankly quite surprised he wasn't benched at some point and passed over for Irvin. Man we coulda used his speed out there vs Oregon and Ohio State...

3, I agree with you on Kamari. I think he and Davis could be the featured backs with Ahmed more of a secondary option. Ahmed should see his touches go well up though...

I'm mostly interested to see what happens with the DL and LB rotations. Beavers goes down AGAIN yesterday and you just can't count on him next year. I think Wellington and Sirmon start inside with Tryon, Benning, Ngata and Rice, maybe Zion and Eddie (the walk-on) rotating as well in the OLB spots

And finally 4, I see Osborne and Spiker jumping right in at WR alongside Jones and Bynum to be the starters. Fuller and Bacciellia will slide into the slot and see targets go down with Eason pushing the ball down the field more.

Postby SonsofHan on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:41 pm

The Huskies should have been able to recruit top flight receivers and TE due to getting a top 5 star QB. I guess we will get to see if the OC was just in love with screens or just compensating for Browning's noodle for an arm.

Postby SonsofHan on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 pm

They have at least 2 blue chip QB recruits Eason @ 6'6" tall heads the tall guys including a 6'4", and 6'5" guy
and then an Dylan Morris a 6'1" local recruit who is rated an 84 4 star recruit from espn. Eason was listed as a 4 star and 89 point the year before. And Haener who is another 6'.

May the best man win

Postby SonsofHan on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 pm

To compare Washington has 11 4 star recruits.
Compared to
Bama 24x 4*/1x 5*
Auburn 12 x4*, 1x 5*
Clemson 16x 4*
Florida 16x 4*
Georgia 16 x4*, 2x 5*
Mich 17x 4*, 1 x 5*
Ok 18 x 4*
even a few pac 12 teams have an edge
Oregon 14 4* plus 1 5*

I am sure there are another dozen team with at least an even recruiting class as UW. I have kinda watched recruiting class rankings the last few years. Every year there are Alabama and a few that are in the area code of them. Most of time Schools like UW rank somewhere in the teens to 20s. Kinda daunting the gap between us and them.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 pm

SonsofHan.. both Sirmon and Yankoff are better QB prospects than Morris. I'd be stunned if Haener doesn't transfer this offseason. He's garbage and does not have a div 1 future. I project QB depth chart next year as follows:
starter: Eason
2: Sirmon
3 Yankoff
RS Morris

UW is getting better classes year after year. I think 2020 and 2021 will only continue on that trend. Already have 5* Sam Huard locked up for the '21 class.

Postby SonsofHan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:53 am

Roses4Huskies wrote:SonsofHan.. both Sirmon and Yankoff are better QB prospects than Morris. I'd be stunned if Haener doesn't transfer this offseason. He's garbage and does not have a div 1 future. I project QB depth chart next year as follows:
starter: Eason
2: Sirmon
3 Yankoff
RS Morris

UW is getting better classes year after year. I think 2020 and 2021 will only continue on that trend. Already have 5* Sam Huard locked up for the '21 class.

Is Sam Brock's son, or Damon's? ,,, Or some complete;y different Huard.

Yes Yankoff was an 85 scored 4 star, and Sirmon was an 87.
4 mid to high 80's 4 stars and I have seen other pubs list Eason as a 5 star.

Seems exciting but Browning was an 84 according to espn.

Postby Michael K 2 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:36 am

He is Damon's son. Brock has a daughter in HS, but his son is still pretty young.

Next

Return to Husky Football