Advertising

Murphy headed to NFL -- UW looking at 8 potential draft pick

Postby Roses4Huskies on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 pm

With Bryon Murphy's announcement Monday in which he will forego his future eligibility (actually still has two years given he redshirted and leaves as a RS soph) the Huskies could see their largest output of NFL draft picks in a single season in program history (5) and frankly blow that out of the water.

I project 8 at this moment with a chance to rise to 9 and even 10. Let's take a look.

Top 50 sure things:
CB Byron Murphy
S Taylor Rapp

Day 2 picks:
DT Greg Gaines
OT Kaleb McGary
CB Jordan Miller

Day 3 picks:
RB Myles Gaskin
LB Ben Burr-kirven
TE Drew Sample

Number 9? CB Myles Bryant IF he declares. Potential number 10? Let's see if DT Jaylen Johnson gets picked.

Really exciting stuff. I can't wait to see this new batch of Huskies enter the league, maybe joining former teammates and big bros from another era.

Re: Murphy headed to NFL -- UW looking at 8 potential draft

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:24 pm

I wonder what other program could lose 10 players off the defense and still go into the next year expecting to kick ass on defense? Alabama?

Postby D-Trains on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Roses4Huskies wrote:With Bryon Murphy's announcement Monday in which he will forego his future eligibility (actually still has two years given he redshirted and leaves as a RS soph) the Huskies could see their largest output of NFL draft picks in a single season in program history (5) and frankly blow that out of the water.

I project 8 at this moment with a chance to rise to 9 and even 10. Let's take a look.

Top 50 sure things:
CB Byron Murphy
S Taylor Rapp

Day 2 picks:
DT Greg Gaines
OT Kaleb McGary
CB Jordan Miller

Day 3 picks:
RB Myles Gaskin
LB Ben Burr-kirven
TE Drew Sample

Number 9? CB Myles Bryant IF he declares. Potential number 10? Let's see if DT Jaylen Johnson gets picked.

Really exciting stuff. I can't wait to see this new batch of Huskies enter the league, maybe joining former teammates and big bros from another era.

Hey, where's your boy Browning???

dt

Postby Roses4Huskies on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm

Yeah. Your Bama's, Georgia, Clemson, LSU... all the top recruiters

Postby Roses4Huskies on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Michael K, your point is a good one, though. UW is potentially set to lose 10 defensive starters (if Bryant declares) and I think even with that, this is a team that sets up beautifully to win the Pac12 in 2019 and challenge for the playoff with an undefeated campaign. Barring 4 other undefeated teams, it should get in and I think, head to the NC game with a great team.

An early prediction on the next defensive stars at UW:
DT Levi Onwuzurike - already showed glimpses this yr, I think he'll be most dominant DL force UW has had since Vea in '17
CB Keith Taylor - PFF showed stat where he yielded fewest yards per pass attempt given eligible snaps. Going to be a stud
CB Elijah Molden - Thought the kid was outstanding this year. Tackles well. Quick to the ball. Sticky. Going to be another good one for UW corners.
DB Julius Irvin - I think he's slotted for safety but could play nickel corner too I guess.
OLB Joe Tryon - He seems to have a sharp football IQ. Certainly has all the physical traits wanted.
MLB Brandon Wellington - He's coming on. I'm expecting a big season from the local product in 2019
DT Tuli Letuligasenoa - We didn't see much of him as he RSd but he's gotta be the next Vea for us.

Others
Can DJ Beavers stay healthy? Can Brandon McKinney bulk up and play smarter? Does Ariel Ngata or a Myles Rice show up at OLB? What do Huskies get from young 2018 RS like Taimani, Bynum, Hampton, Gordon, Nasili-Liu?

Postby Hindemith on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:40 pm

Roses4Huskies wrote:With Bryon Murphy's announcement Monday in which he will forego his future eligibility (actually still has two years given he redshirted and leaves as a RS soph) the Huskies could see their largest output of NFL draft picks in a single season in program history (5) and frankly blow that out of the water.

Top 50 sure things:
CB Byron Murphy
S Taylor Rapp

Day 2 picks:
DT Greg Gaines
OT Kaleb McGary
CB Jordan Miller

Day 3 picks:
RB Myles Gaskin
LB Ben Burr-kirven
TE Drew Sample

Burr-Kirven a day three draft pick? Unless he has a bad combine I think he will be gone day two. Gaines, on the other hand, looks more like a day three to me.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:27 pm

yeah, maybe... we'll see

Postby azdawgfan on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 am

One of the big differences between West Coast Football and College Football in the South, besides fan support? We lose players with two years of eligibility left. Clemson had their entire NFL D line return to make another run. Not sure about Clemson's O line players, but they played great last night.
I never used to pay attention to the 5 star recruiting stuff. But it is starting to look like you better get your share of them if you want to play against teams like Georgia, Alabama and Clemson. Especially on the line of scrimmage. As far as the west coast, only USC and oregon land these types of players, maybe Stanford?

Postby 57reasons on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Hindemith wrote:

Top 50 sure things:
CB Byron Murphy
S Taylor Rapp

Day 2 picks:
DT Greg Gaines
OT Kaleb McGary
CB Jordan Miller

Day 3 picks:
RB Myles Gaskin
LB Ben Burr-kirven
TE Drew Sample

Burr-Kirven a day three draft pick? Unless he has a bad combine I think he will be gone day two. Gaines, on the other hand, looks more like a day three to me.

I also like Gaskin for early Day 2 - figure he runs a sub 4.5 40, as well as being good in the pass game. and with a big nod to Phillip Lindsay for opening the door for smaller backs.

Postby Captain 97 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Hindemith wrote:

Top 50 sure things:
CB Byron Murphy
S Taylor Rapp

Day 2 picks:
DT Greg Gaines
OT Kaleb McGary
CB Jordan Miller

Day 3 picks:
RB Myles Gaskin
LB Ben Burr-kirven
TE Drew Sample

Its obviously early and the projections will change drastically but I have looked at several mocks and none of them Show BBK being drafted at all.

Next

Return to Husky Football