Advertising

Re: Murphy headed to NFL -- UW looking at 8 potential draft

Postby D-Trains on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Quite the range of opinions on BBK. lol I wonder how many other players projections span from 1st round pick to UDFA. :shock:

As a 6-foot-0, 222-pound linebacker, Ben Burr-Kirven is entering the NFL at precisely the right time.

Over the past decade, pro teams have put an onus on speed, explosiveness, and ability in coverage over size and thumping ability at the linebacker position to counter the proliferation of spread offenses being used that are based on yards after the catch.

And Washington's leading tackler is as speedy, explosive, and comfortable in coverage as it gets in college football. Based on what I've seen from him this season, he looks like a mid first-round pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... prototype/

Ben Burr-Kirven is going to face an uphill battle to get drafted. If he checks in at sub-6-foot, 220 pounds, he’s essentially box safety size which means he’ll need to test closer to a defensive back. I’m not sure I see that happening, but I think coaches will be impressed by his physicality, smarts, feel in zone coverage and willingness to hunt as a tackler. Burr-Kirven screams special teams demon in the NFL, but will his frame and his lack of great instincts hurt his ability to find a role? I’d like to say he finds a way to stick, but the odds are definitely against him.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/08/ ... rr-kirven/

Postby Roses4Huskies on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:05 am

If BBK can't get drafted.. but Shaqueem Griffin can..? Oh man I'll lose it

Postby Captain 97 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:44 am

I think the biggest thing is going to be what position he plays. All of his playing time and experience in college has been at middle linebacker. He absolutely will not play middle linebacker in the NFL at his size. so the question becomes do NFL teams feel his skill set transfers to outside linebacker or Safety where he will have to play more pass coverage and diagnose things from a completely different perspective.

Postby Captain 97 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:54 am

Roses4Huskies wrote:If BBK can't get drafted.. but Shaqueem Griffin can..? Oh man I'll lose it

Why?
Shaquem was an extremely dominant College player. He had 18.5 Sacks and 33.5 Tackles for Loss in his last two years. BBK had 4 Sacks and 11.5 Tackles for Loss in his last two years. BBK is a good player and he racked up a ton of tackles but He really wasn't the game changer that Shaquem was in College. Shaquem also has elite speed BBK does not.

Postby Hindemith on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:34 am

D-Trains wrote:
Ben Burr-Kirven is going to face an uphill battle to get drafted. If he checks in at sub-6-foot, 220 pounds, he’s essentially box safety size which means he’ll need to test closer to a defensive back. I’m not sure I see that happening, but I think coaches will be impressed by his physicality, smarts, feel in zone coverage and willingness to hunt as a tackler. Burr-Kirven screams special teams demon in the NFL, but will his frame and his lack of great instincts hurt his ability to find a role? I’d like to say he finds a way to stick, but the odds are definitely against him.

Lack of great instincts? How did he lead Div 1 in tackles then? Was it the system? :?

Postby Captain 97 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 am

Hindemith wrote:
D-Trains wrote:

Lack of great instincts? How did he lead Div 1 in tackles then? Was it the system? :?

Middle linebackers get a lot of tackles when your interior d-line is poor at run D

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 am

Hindemith wrote:
D-Trains wrote:

That is nonsensical to me. If you are under sized and you don't have top speed, don't you have to have good instincts to have a huge number of tackles. Were the ball carriers all running into his arms because they thought he was cute?

dt

Postby Roses4Huskies on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Roses4Huskies wrote:If BBK can't get drafted.. but Shaqueem Griffin can..? Oh man I'll lose it

Why?
Shaquem was an extremely dominant College player. He had 18.5 Sacks and 33.5 Tackles for Loss in his last two years. BBK had 4 Sacks and 11.5 Tackles for Loss in his last two years. BBK is a good player and he racked up a ton of tackles but He really wasn't the game changer that Shaquem was in College. Shaquem also has elite speed BBK does not.

Shaq does NOT have elite speed. Stop proliferating this inaccuracy! The 4.38 time at the combine was inaccurate and immediately changed by the staff at the NFL Network. The clock did not operate correctly. He runs 4.58. That is not fast for a 225 lb player. BBK will time better than this.

Postby Roses4Huskies on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:34 am

Captain 97 wrote:

Why?

Because it's not about how one fared at college. It's about nfl projection and BBK projects far better than the 1-armed Shaqueem

Postby Captain 97 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 am

Roses4Huskies wrote:
Captain 97 wrote:

Why?

Shaq does NOT have elite speed. Stop proliferating this inaccuracy! The 4.38 time at the combine was inaccurate and immediately changed by the staff at the NFL Network. The clock did not operate correctly. He runs 4.58. That is not fast for a 225 lb player. BBK will time better than this.

That story is B.S. And BBK will not beat 4.6

PreviousNext

Return to Husky Football