Advertising

Crazy comeback- knew it all along

Postby calabcoug on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:02 am

Holy crap...so much crazy stuff happened I can't even remember it all! Down 31-10 the Cougs roar back and win in OT

47-44 in 3 OT, messy as hell....but a win is a win is a win!

Re: Crazy comeback- knew it all along

Postby Joe Shabotnik II on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:27 am

We'll take it, it beats the alternative! :P

Postby trharder on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:05 am

I'll take this one as the Karma positive pay back for the Portland and EWU early season losses from previous years. The Cougs played well in spurts. Do we have a QB controversy?

Postby DAWG SATURDAY on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:43 am

trharder wrote:I'll take this one as the Karma positive pay back for the Portland and EWU early season losses from previous years. The Cougs played well in spurts. Do we have a QB controversy?

lol... If I'm a Coug fan I sure hope not.

Postby masochist on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm almost without words to describe what happened last night. Almost . . . . We should give the Cougs big marks for a never-say-die attitude, and pulling it out in the end. And big marks for Tyler Hilinski. And I know, a win is a win. But holy cow, this was a debacle. For a while it looked like the Keystone Kops vs. the Our Gang kids. Before the season began, I expressed hope that the Cougs would, at the least, not embarrass the PAC-12 this year. I still think they did last night. For a while, two teams were vying for displaying the most ineptitude. Having followed the Cougs for decades, unfortunately I've seen what happened last night too many times, under different coaches. There are games where, inexplicably and unpredictably, the Cougs just don't show up. Last year's bowl game comes to mind. What possible reason could there be for Falk having such a miserable game, after his superb performance the week before? So, you're probably going to tell me I don't know football, and you'd be right. But I do know this: truly good teams don't pull an El Foldo like this out of the blue. Truly good teams are dependable, and display it week in and week out. With the Cougs, you never know which team is going to show up from one week to the next. This long history of such unpredictability is a mystery to me. Maybe somebody can explain. Oh well, 2 and 0, we'll take it, and Go Cougs at the next game.

Postby trharder on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 pm

DAWG SATURDAY wrote:
trharder wrote:I'll take this one as the Karma positive pay back for the Portland and EWU early season losses from previous years. The Cougs played well in spurts. Do we have a QB controversy?

lol... If I'm a Coug fan I sure hope not.

You're not.

Postby trharder on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 pm

masochist wrote: But I do know this: truly good teams don't pull an El Foldo like this out of the blue. Truly good teams are dependable, and display it week in and week out. With the Cougs, you never know which team is going to show up from one week to the next. This long history of such unpredictability is a mystery to me. Maybe somebody can explain. Oh well, 2 and 0, we'll take it, and Go Cougs at the next game.

I think Boise St. is pretty good and will be proven so by the end of their year. Falk had a bad game against them last time he played them too. Jekle and Hyde is the most consistent thing known by Coug fans, but the Cougs are rated as the 21 by AP and 22 by coaches. This is progress in Pullman.

Postby calabcoug on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm

trharder wrote:
masochist wrote: But I do know this: truly good teams don't pull an El Foldo like this out of the blue. Truly good teams are dependable, and display it week in and week out. With the Cougs, you never know which team is going to show up from one week to the next. This long history of such unpredictability is a mystery to me. Maybe somebody can explain. Oh well, 2 and 0, we'll take it, and Go Cougs at the next game.

I think Boise St. is pretty good and will be proven so by the end of their year. Falk had a bad game against them last time he played them too. Jekle and Hyde is the most consistent thing known by Coug fans, but the Cougs are rated as the 21 by AP and 22 by coaches. This is progress in Pullman.

I'm a little worried about Falk. It's been quite a few games since he has lit it up downfield. He's really holding the ball far too long and seems mighty eager to take the dump off before getting through his check downs. His field vision isn't seeming as developed as it was in his junior year prior to the concussion stuff.

Against the same defensive starters, Hilinski hit guys in stride and spotted that split second of separation the mesh is designed to 'pry open' when facing those 7 and 8 man secondary sets. Not dis'n him...but I think if you look back at last year and into this season...Falk is settling as a habit. I felt he managed the game well against the Bobcats, they were ridiculously leaving 8 yard cushions...you simply have to take that gift...but that stuff vs. Boise was covered rapidly. We simply have to turn those LB's around...and I know some of it is the new WR's and a need to get off the ball and get better at the hand fighting...but Luke has GOT to spread the wealth and find the isolations, and keep those safeties guessing.

Still smiling at the terrific comeback... nice to have the shoe on the other foot ... we win. Go Cougs

Postby trharder on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 am

calabcoug wrote:[I'm a little worried about Falk. It's been quite a few games since he has lit it up downfield. He's really holding the ball far too long and seems mighty eager to take the dump off before getting through his check downs. His field vision isn't seeming as developed as it was in his junior year prior to the concussion stuff.
Against the same defensive starters, Hilinski hit guys in stride and spotted that split second of separation the mesh is designed to 'pry open' when facing those 7 and 8 man secondary sets. Not dis'n him...but I think if you look back at last year and into this season...Falk is settling as a habit. I felt he managed the game well against the Bobcats, they were ridiculously leaving 8 yard cushions...you simply have to take that gift...but that stuff vs. Boise was covered rapidly. We simply have to turn those LB's around...and I know some of it is the new WR's and a need to get off the ball and get better at the hand fighting...but Luke has GOT to spread the wealth and find the isolations, and keep those safeties guessing.

I'm not going to put up a fight in defense of Falk. The current Cougars have more going for them than just Falk. I'm fine with the other guy if that's what moves the offense. But the check down thing IS the offense to a large degree. It's been that way all along. I'm not defending that either, but that's what the Air Raid is.

Postby calabcoug on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 pm

trharder wrote:
calabcoug wrote:[I'm a little worried about Falk. It's been quite a few games since he has lit it up downfield. He's really holding the ball far too long and seems mighty eager to take the dump off before getting through his check downs. His field vision isn't seeming as developed as it was in his junior year prior to the concussion stuff.

I'm not going to put up a fight in defense of Falk. The current Cougars have more going for them than just Falk. I'm fine with the other guy if that's what moves the offense. But the check down thing IS the offense to a large degree. It's been that way all along. I'm not defending that either, but that's what the Air Raid is.

Not exactly...like I said, the Bobcats left it absurdly open for 8 yard gains...you just take that and keep taking it...wait for the adjustment. That's the air raid...and the Bobcats made no adjustment. But the Broncos adjusted quickly and closed rapidly on the dump offs and they weren't working pretty quickly in that game. Falk...did not adjust, and move the ball to whatever new slot opened because their LB's had slid in closer...he kept doing what wasn't working. Kind of what I mean when I say I'm worried about him...if those SS and LB's are leaning in...you must go over their head...or split them w/ the mesh... that is the air raid...force the adjustment and then feed off the new opening their adjustment created.

I'm not advocating benching Falk, by any means...I just haven't seen him sizzle of late by nailing the middle up passes.

Next

Return to Cougars