Advertising

Re: #19 WSU vs. Utah

Postby Coug Tracks on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 pm

I do think we can win if we come out and get off to the kind of start we really haven't the last few years. If Falk comes out and sees the field and is able to get into a good rhythm we can move the ball. I see the UW stacking the box and allowing their dbs to try and press as they have done the last few years so effectively. They shouldn't have the same success this year but I'll believe it when I see it. That's where we need someone to make a big play like Bell, a Martin, or Calvin. The back shoulder to Johnson-Mack or maybe the wheel route to Morrow if Falk has that kind of time.

Defense will come down a lot to how we are able to defend the run and we can't let their TEs hurt us. Having Dotson back is really big. If they don't allow the UW to hold like they did Utah we will give them problems. Mata'afa, Luvu, and Ekuale I believe will have good games.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Playing press coverage might depend on what CBs the Dawgs have, and right now they are pretty thin. The freaking Cardinal threw it all over the yard on them, to one receiver. Not sure that won't be possible for the Cougs. I also think this thought that they fell superior may be false. It is the Cougs riding high after beating Stanford and Utah and getting a bye to rest. I honestly think Browning is broken and don't see any chance we go for big plays against you guys. If we can't run it with Gaskin, Coleman and Ahmed you guys will win by 10, and it may not be that close.

Smith simply can't stand the fact that he doesn't have a Heisman caliber QB and refuses to call the offense accordingly. My guess is by the end of the Apple Cup I will be drunk, but for a completely different reason than Woodinville Coug is!

I hope I am wrong, but I have zero faith in the Husky QB or the OC. That makes it hard for me to foresee victory in a Pac 12 Rivalry game.

Postby calabcoug on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 pm

I think it's going to be a great game, close hard fought and a war. As it should be.

Postby coug2828 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am

I think the team that scores the most points will come out victorious.

Postby Michael K 2 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:59 pm

coug2828 wrote:I think the team that scores the most points will come out victorious.

I'm going to hold you to that! :lol:

I coach HS softball and I am sure the girls grow tired of hearing it, but one of my favorite statements is "Did you know that if you win every inning you win the game?" That statement is usually followed by :roll: :roll:

Postby WoodinvilleCoug on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:
coug2828 wrote:I think the team that scores the most points will come out victorious.

I'm going to hold you to that! :lol:

I coach HS softball and I am sure the girls grow tired of hearing it, but one of my favorite statements is "Did you know that if you win every inning you win the game?" That statement is usually followed by :roll: :roll:

When I coached select baseball (16 yr olds), I'd say the same thing. Win every inning. Now I coach tee-ball and my main focus is to keep the kids from playing with the dirt.

Postby The Seahawk Guy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Hard to ignore that the Cougs are in a great position going into the Apple Cup. Having two weeks to prepare and rest up for the game, the Coug defense is more healthy with Dotson back and Hercules Mata'afa is playing at a very high level right now (His game against Utah was just ridiculous). Overall it's been a joy to watch the defense this season https://twitter.com/wsucougfb/status/930188584425963521

While the Huskie's QB is not playing as well as he had been earlier this season, and some of his decision making was very questionable at Stanford. On 4th and 21 with still time to tie the game, Browning ran for 9 yards? What was that?

Also, one of UW's defenders just got suspended indefinitely (even though he hadn't been playing much this season, he still had a sack against Stanford last Friday) and it's likely the Huskies won't be playing to win the PAC-12 North this season in the Apple Cup, like the Cougs will be. (unless Cal wins @ Stanford this weekend, which is unlikely).

The Cougs will have more to play for, and if the Cougs play the way they did against USC and Stanford, they have a great chance of going back to Pullman with the Apple Cup.

Postby Coug Tracks on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:13 pm

WSU has to play fundamentally sound and not make fatal mistakes. We pretty much dominated Stanford but allowed Love a 50+ yard TD instead of a 10-15 yard run and also a pick 6. Getting Dotson back at MLB is definitely huge.

Get out of the first quarter and into half close or with a lead. Do that and I think we settle down in the second half and can win. Get punched in the mouth, fail to respond, and it's the last 4 years all over again.

Postby Michael K 2 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:45 pm

WoodinvilleCoug wrote:When I coached select baseball (16 yr olds), I'd say the same thing. Win every inning. Now I coach tee-ball and my main focus is to keep the kids from playing with the dirt.

We skipped T-Ball with my son. One of my buddies had a son who was a year older and talked me into coaching pitching machine with him....since I was coaching we could move my son up. I later watched my nephew play T-Ball and was never more happy I took the advice of a friend! You are a very patient man to coach T-Ball!

Postby calabcoug on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 pm

My sons climbed through the system that started with Tee ball. I coached one or both all the way to HS ball. In his first game ever, my oldest finally got to bat "after ALL that practice Dad..." (we had three before the 1st game). He whacked a grounder and ended up at first base. No one could field of course so every kid made a few trips around the bags.

After it was over we were driving home and I asked him...'So what did you think about playing baseball?". He took a long slurp from his milkshake and thought it over. "It was pretty great...I hit the ball and ran to first...and I met a guy!". Somehow in ALL those 3 practices it hadn't occurred to him the 1st baseman would be there.

They are grown now, but occasionally when a player draws a walk in a game we are watching ,one of us still says...not only a walk...but he gets to meet a guy.

PreviousNext

Return to Cougars