Advertising

Copper Sulfate in silicone hoof pads?

Postby EasyGoin on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 am

Has anyone ever put copper sulfate in silicone hoof pads to treat/prevent thrush? I watched a video the other day that detailed the procedure. Thought it was interesting. Comments would be welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Copper Sulfate in silicone hoof pads?

Postby kriss10 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:26 pm

I've never heard of this, but would love to hear from anyone who has. I have one horse who seems to be prone to thrush and this year has been really tough on him with the amount of rain (and mud) we have had.

Postby horsepeople2001 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:09 pm

I have heard of it before but never done it. don't have an issue with thrush,yes I live on the wet side but I also live on a gravel pit. my ponies have hard as rock feet for the most part.

Postby EasyGoin on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:52 am

After talking with the Vet I gave it a shot. I didn't impregnate the silicone pads with the copper sulfate because the pads had already been created. What I did however is sprinkle it all over her frog, then cover it with a gauze pad and then replaced the hoof pad, taped the pad in place then put a Boa Boot over it. I've got to say, that works like something else, it knocked the thrush out super quick. Just in case anyone is interested.

Return to Northwest Horse Forum