Advertising

Is there a horse-proof gate?

Postby Joan Deutsch on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 pm

We’ve had a few fence and gate problems with our horses. Like the cheap lightweight gates we bought when we moved here — not knowing any better. All was well till Joe rubbed his tail on one of them and the gate folded in half giving him free access to Cody’s paddock. He terrorized his friend until Cody turned the tables and took a hunk out of Joe’s back. I had to cut a hole in his saddle pad and use that till he healed. And then we’ve had a few horses who liked to put their legs through wood fence railings. So when Streak started putting his foot on the rails of his metal gate, Mike welded a piece of wire fencing to keep his foot from slipping through. But once it was done, we realized the bottom of the wire fence was sharp so he wrapped it in rubber. What a pain that was! Have you had any gate issues or do you have a favorite gate?

Re: Is there a horse-proof gate?

Postby EasyGoin on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:03 am

We had a horse that would lean on the gates. We attached the hot wire to the gate. One good hit! The problem was solved.

Re: Is there a horse-proof gate?

Postby horsepeople2001 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:39 am

EasyGoin wrote:We had a horse that would lean on the gates. We attached the hot wire to the gate. One good hit! The problem was solved.
done this myself keeps them off the fence too. but sadly I am thinking the used gates we just put up are gonna end up replaced before long. the good is if they break out of that gate they still can't leave the property. it just lets them into the orchard/garden/trailer parking section. It will be ok if the washington state gov,gets the damned budget passed. I am on the waiting list for a manure bin system and cost share/sacrifice areas off the barn. no mud problem in that area just no individual runs so we have stall swapping at feed times and no place to lock some one in if they get injured/sick or need to be kept clean.I love letting them have free rein to the heavily treed pasture/track, but still need the other too.

Return to Northwest Horse Forum