Advertising

MLS Sounder's match thread for all the marbles in Toronto

Postby rockycola on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Saw both of dt's polls on the M's & Hawks forums. Thought a thread should be should be here, too, about the match.

Let it be known that I'm not a soccer fan, no dislike, just not interested.
However, this is a big deal for Seattle and this thread is my support. GO SOUNDERS.
Hey! Average attendance here this year was 42,636. Mariner's average this year was 27,999. If a couple more of us had gone to a few more games we could have pumped that average to 28,000.game.

Besides, the company I work for is owned by Adrian Hanauer but I've never met him.

Can you imagine being there at BMO Field in Toronto for this thing? It's 28 degrees F right now. By 7 PM, Toronto time it's supposed to be 28 and falling with a 15 mph wind. That's the equivalent of about 4 to 8 degrees when wind chill factors are figured.

Here's a write-up from Toronto Globe and Mail Thursday:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-ready-for-battle-hope-for-winning-weather-saturday/article33279085/
Aside from the fuss created by the fans and media, a major concern is the weather. Thanks to the mild fall weather and the fact the first leg of the Eastern Conference final was played indoors in Montreal’s Olympic Stadium, the elements have not played a big role in the playoffs.

But with the MLS Cup set for BMO Field, and the forecast calling for temperatures around -5 C for the 8 p.m. (ET) start, with the chance of snow flurries, conditions could be unpleasant.

Throw in the usual wind off Lake Ontario that can blast across BMO Field and the scene could gust to nasty. Just don’t try to tell that to TFC midfielder Michael Bradley.

There is just too much excitement over what is at stake – no Canadian team has ever won the MLS Cup and no Toronto team has won a major sports title since the Toronto Blue Jays took the World Series in 1993 – for the weather to be considered a problem.

“I don’t think the weather will affect anything [Saturday] night,” Bradley said emphatically.

“Every forecast you look at says it should be somewhere around freezing or just below.

“I’ve played differ

And a great article on the Sounders from Toronto Globe & Mail again:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/seattle-sounders-finally-play-for-mls-cup-after-years-of-success/article33277914/

Re: MLS Sounder's match thread for all the marbles in Toront

Postby rockycola on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:13 pm

Man, if I was at that game right now, I'd be drinking some very potent hot toddies (doubles) right now to keep warm.

Postby tbear on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:48 pm

rockycola wrote:Man, if I was at that game right now, I'd be drinking some very potent hot toddies (doubles) right now to keep warm.

No doubt. Brrrr.

Postby rockycola on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:24 pm

All I know is they've played for a long time.
Now they're doing extra time, two 15 minute periods.
If after the next 30 minutes, someone has scored, match over, someones the champ.
If still 0-0 or tied, a PK?????
b-b-b-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r - it's frickin' 25 degrees there.

If there's a draw after 90 minutes, teams will go to extra time in all rounds of the knockout stages, with no rules changing over the successive rounds. Extra time is two 15-minute periods that will be played in their entirety no matter what, with no "golden goal" to end the match.

In the event the score is still tied after extra time, the two sides go to penalty kicks. Penalties are best of five, with each team alternating takers until one team is mathematically unable to match the other. If penalties are tied after five takes, the sides go to sudden death, taking alternating penalties until one team misses and the other scores.

Postby NeilMorris on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 am

That was for sure great final! I was amazed reading it here - http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2016/12/1 ... to-fc-2016

Return to Sounders FC