Advertising

Safe Injection Sites

Postby Grandma Lynn on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Here's another problem I have, excepting
sites for druggies to inject themselves.
I feel it's enabling them.
Maybe use the money for these sites to
help them get off drugs. I know, it's been
tried for ages. But it makes more sense
to me.
What's your thoughts on this?

Re: Safe Injection Sites

Postby Moe Gibbs on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Heroin was very popular in the Army in the 1970s while I was stationed in Germany. Every Monday morning a couple soldiers were sent outside the barracks to "police up" all the used needles and tin foil pouches that the "partiers" threw out the windows over the weekend. It was amazing to see how many "Barracks Rats" on a payday night would be bouncing off the walls on their way to throwing up in the bathroom. ODs were pretty common. We had paramedics on "Speed Dial" especially on a Friday Night / Payday. The Medics could give a guy whose breathing was almost stopped a shot of something [I think it was adrenaline] and within a minute Private Shortdork would make a miraculous recovery and not even know why he was strapped to a gurney.
It's a very selfish, idiotic and childish thing to allow yourself to get hooked. It's irresponsibility in it's purest form.
Turks living in Germany were the pipeline to getting heroin and hash.
Soldier / Junkies eventually served time at Mannheim and from there got booted out.
I believe many Junkies would admit that they just aren't cut out to handle the pressure, the responsibility, the discomfort, the inconvenience and the grind of being a Working Stiff / Family Guy who lives by a set of rules.
These overgrown children weren't prepared for the rigors of adulthood by their parents, with unlimited play time, no chores, low expectations, no discipline, etc.
Death by heroin is how I'd prefer to go if I reached a point of no return with cancer or organ failure. Just a wee bit of alcohol for a kicker and it's lights out. You simply "nod off" similar to putting a dog to sleep.
Death Row inmates should be given the same stuff. No need to resort to fancy chemicals that the Do Gooders claim are in short supply.

Postby Grandma Lynn on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am

Interesting! But, you didn't give a comment
on if you think injection sites are a good thing.

Postby Moe Gibbs on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 am

Grandma Lynn wrote:Interesting! But, you didn't give a comment
on if you think injection sites are a good thing.

If you create a "Holy Land" for Drug Addicts and Beggars to flock to and congregate, then expect your area to go from BAD to WORSE. Where you only used to see 2 Junkies hanging out by the 7/11 Store begging for dollars, now you will have 6.

Postby HawkBowler on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:23 pm

I think needle exchanges are necessary for public health, but I'm not sure about the injection sites either. Kind of like having a teenage daughter, where you don't want her to be having sex, but you also want to make sure she's using contraception if she is having sex.

The opium explosion is one of the biggest problems we face in the country, and yet it's rarely talked about on the evening news. The CDC reports that 183,000 people have died from opium over-doses since 1999.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/overdose.html

That's three times the number of people that died during the Vietnam War. Half of the deaths were the result of prescription over-doses. The real criminals behind this problem are the pharmaceutical companies and doctors that over-prescribe.

Opium is so powerful that it was used for centuries as a way to enslave people by the Chinese and others. What's happening now is that older people have a health problem, they are prescribed opiates, then once they're hooked, they move to heroine because it's a lot cheaper. So we have a situation in which older people are getting hooked, not by partying, but by having legitimate health problems. It's happening to people that normally would never fall into this sort cycle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=picture ... PoesYFPBBM:

Postby Moe Gibbs on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:56 pm

It sounds cold, but opiates are doing "God's Work" for our society in the long run. I think Darwin would approve, too.
If we could bring our population down to a more sustainable / manageable number I think you would see addiction rates drop.
People with a sense of purpose and goals, pride in self and pride in their legacy / heritage simply do not need or want to seek opiates for their recreation.

Postby beenthereanddonethat on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Rather than soundly believing that safe injections sites are a nod of the head to heroin users....why not try a bit of logic here. Prolifers! Saying that a person deserves to die if they use a drug certainly disqualifies you in every way for proclaiming you are Pro-life. Having medical professionals on hand to monitor and offer treatment is a terrible thing? Common sense, which seems to be lacking here would tell you that drug abusers come from every economic background. The numbers of the addicted are growing at alarming rates. The so called War on Drugs only seemed to amplify the problem and it's time to take positive steps to alleviate the situation. This program is certainly one that we should implement. Should the results be what the right expects then so be it....we will move on from there. Until then, allow this program and hope it will not only identify those in need but get the treatment so sorely needed.

Postby Grandma Lynn on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Beenthere sounds very logical with her
interpretation of injection sites.
But I feel that it's encouraging the druggies
instead of helping them.
So what else could be the answer?
Is there enough help for them to actually
get off drugs? I know that many would
want to be off the drugs. And they can't
do it by themselves.

Postby SeaFreak on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:09 pm

The drugs are strong. They are systemically pushed. We are talking about pharmaceuticals here. These are pills that doctors prescribe.

Moe is not wrong. It's an act of God. But, that doesn't necessarily mean we don't respond. I mean, it might not be equivalent to pulling a small child out from underneath earthquake rubble, but helping an addict is an act of compassion.

Another angle is to just make the opiates available. Part of the issue is that they're controlled. Another huge factor with opiate addicts is that the withdrawal symptoms are severe. If the pills were just available, then people could help themselves to gradually wane off. Also, if users had over the counter access to the Rx opiates, then overdose deaths would reduce. It's really the street heroin that kills, because the strength of the product is underestimated. So, I think you could make a case for just making the pills readily available and letting us decide for ourselves whether or not we want to take them. I think usage would go up, because some people would try them and like them. But, you know, free country!

Postby Grandma Lynn on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:16 pm

SeaFreak wrote:The drugs are strong. They are systemically pushed. We are talking about pharmaceuticals here. These are pills that doctors prescribe.

Moe is not wrong. It's an act of God. But, that doesn't necessarily mean we don't respond. I mean, it might not be equivalent to pulling a small child out from underneath earthquake rubble, but helping an addict is an act of compassion.

Another angle is to just make the opiates available. Part of the issue is that they're controlled. Another huge factor with opiate addicts is that the withdrawal symptoms are severe. If the pills were just available, then people could help themselves to gradually wane off. Also, if users had over the counter access to the Rx opiates, then overdose deaths would reduce. It's really the street heroin that kills, because the strength of the product is underestimated. So, I think you could make a case for just making the pills readily available and letting us decide for ourselves whether or not we want to take them. I think usage would go up, because some people would try them and like them. But, you know, free country!

In other words, there wouldn't be any
stealing to get money for drugs, and
everybody using them will be happy
and out of our faces? And no overdoses?

Next

Return to Rant and Rave - Politics